Chapter 54

YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
I run my hand through my hair, full of stress as Peter frantically paces the room. "Oh, my god, what am I gonna do, he revealed my identity, and everyone thinks that he's the good guy, ugh, I'm freaking out, now everyone believes that I'm a worldwide threat and villain, what the hell am I gonna do?!"

I follow him with my eyes as he keeps freaking out, and my stomach keeps tumbling over itself. "Okay," I start, my voice surprisingly level, "we just need to keep a calm approach to this. Have you notified May that you're staying here?"

"Yes, and she's deleted the messages."

"Good. Now, I've scheduled a live press conference for next week, solely focused on this new media outburst."

"That's too late, everyone's gonna be convinced by then."

"Peter, it's the soonest I could get."

"Can't you just push up the deadline?"

"I can't, I'm sorry."

"Why don't you just use your authority or something?"

"Peter, I'm doing the best I can."

"WELL IT'S NOT ENOUGH! EVERYONE THAT I LOVE AND CARE ABOUT COULD BE IN DANGER BY THEN, SO YOU OBVIOUSLY NEED TO WORK HARDER."

I sigh, putting my head in my hands. The silence hangs in the air like a weight between us, only broken by our breathing or the ticking of the clock on the wall. Minutes pass, and I look up, my thumbs resting under my chin as my breath tickles the insides of my cupped palms.

Peter's typical and immediate apology doesn't come.

I stand up without a word as Peter remains motionless on one of the chairs, his breathing heavy and fingers twitching against his will. I walk to the door, opening it and beginning to step out when his voice calls out, choked up and guilty, "Wait."

I turn around, only slightly, as he brings his face out of his palms to look at me, face slightly flushed and eyes somewhat red. "Wait, I'm... I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled at you."

I shake my head, giving him a gentle smile. "No, you were in the right. You need to vent, to let some steam off. I'm gonna let you cool down for a bit, and then we'll talk about our plan, okay?" He nods, taking a shaky breath, "Yeah, yeah, okay."

I step out and close the door, the only noise being a soft click of the latch.

ONE WEEK LATER
~~~~~~~~
"I'll be right offstage if you need me to come out," Pepper assures me, and I nod, taking a deep breath. I look in the mirror again, squinting at the flatness of my low bun. I reach my hands back and tug on it, making it more relaxed, and I pull two small sections from behind my ears to frame my face. I tap my toes together in anticipation, nearly being knocked over by a tiny bundle of energy shooting into my side.

I chuckle as Morgan wraps her small arms around my waist, looking up at me as I pat her back. "Mommy said I need to tell you good luck."

I crouch down to give her a proper hug, "Well, thank you. Your luck is all I need."

I stand up again, and Morgan tilts her head up in awe. "You're way taller. How are you so tall?" I laugh, pointing to my heels, "High heels. They're my secret, okay? You can't tell anyone." I whisper the last part in her ear, making her nod her head furiously.

I take a deep breath, tugging on my blazer as I tap my toes in anticipation. Happy steps in, holding the curtain, "They're ready for you."

I straighten the skirt of my suit, stepping out onto the platform.