Chapter 55

PETER'S POV:
~~~~~~~~
"Because she's me."

My mouth falls agape as I stare at the television. "Did she just...?" I rub my temples, uneasiness beginning to fill me. My phone starts buzzing in my pocket, and I pull it out to see a series of texts from Ned.

Messages to: "Guy in the Chair"

Guy in the Chair
Oh my god
Are you watching the news?
The live coverage
With (y/n)
Because OH MY GOD
She's lying, right?
She has to be
Right?
Just to cover up your secret
RIGHT?!?!?

Me
She's not lying

Guy in the Chair
OH MY GOD
THIS IS SO COOL

She's making sure the media has a huge story to swallow up, and she's taking it away from mine.

What the hell did you just get yourself into, (y/n)?

YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
I hold my hand up after a long period of questioning, Pepper stepping onto the stage and gently guiding me away from the podium. "I'm afraid that's all the time we have, thank you for coming out," I hear as I walk behind the curtain. Happy ushers me away, a sense of urgency in his movements. "Stay here, Morgan!" he yells behind us, walking at a brisk pace with his arm around my shoulders.

My breaths are shaky as I hear yells outside, and Happy instructs me to keep my head down. The sound of my heels clicking on the floor is drowned out by the flood of reporters and civilians shoving cameras and microphones in my face. I hold my hand up to block my face, desperately trying to keep my cool and not have a panic attack. Security guards move people out of the way as Happy takes me to the limo, immediately slamming the door once I get inside.

I close my eyes and lean my head back, taking deep breaths as I try to calm my pounding heart. "Are you okay? (Y/n), I need you to tell me if you're okay." I exhale, opening my eyes and nodding, "Yeah, Hap. I'm okay."

He drums his fingers on the steering wheel as security guards surround the limo, people frantically trying to get photos through the extremely tinted glass. "God, that was overwhelming," I whisper, pulling my blazer tighter as an attempt to feel more secure.

"Yeah, well, when the media hears about a highly respected or powerful figure turning out to be a highly respected or powerful superhero, people'll go crazy. The same thing happened with Tony. He kept a little 'safety blanket' in the back to help with stress. Under the third seat."

I scoot over to the seat, lifting up the cushion to reveal a dark grey blanket, neatly folded and untouched in a while. I pull it out and curl up in it, the weighted fabric calming me down.

"It can be a lot, especially in the first few weeks. But it'll die down after a while."

I sigh, pulling the blanket up to my chin, "I'm almost regretting telling them."

"You actually shouldn't. It was a really good call in order to shift the attention from Peter being framed. Since you told them now, this will be the main focus, and by the time they calm down about this, the Mysterio situation will be long-forgotten."

Pepper and Morgan get into the limo soon after, and Happy immediately starts driving off. I pull the blanket up a bit, and Morgan scoots in next to me, pulling the soft fabric around her and closing her eyes. Pepper leans forward and gently squeezes my knee, "That took guts, and the way you handled all that just proves that Tony was right about his decision. You did good." I smile, lifting my arm and wrapping it around Morgan as she nuzzles into my side, breathing deep as she sleeps.

Pepper looks at her daughter, a soft smile on her face, "Do you know her middle name?" I shake my head, curious as to why Pepper changed the subject to this.

"Tony decided to name her after you. Morgan (y/n) Stark." I look down at the little girl at my side, my heart warming at the idea.

The fact that Tony gave Morgan my name is one thing, but that's not the main reason.

After I had disappeared, after Tony had his second chance, he decided to honor me through his daughter.

He had given up. He didn't think that he could ever bring back me, or Peter, or anyone else.

And the idea that he decided to risk it all, even after his new beginning, even though he didn't have to, just to save everyone....

That says everything.

TWENTY MINUTES LATER/ THE TOWER
~~~~~~~~
"Fuck heels," I mutter once I get into the living room, kicking my shoes off of my aching feet and sending them flying to god knows where. I undo the button of my blazer, slipping it off just as Peter pokes his head around the door. I jump onto a sofa, laying down and letting out an exaggerated exhale.

"That bad?"

"That stressful."

Peter walks over, lifting my head up and sitting down, letting me use his lap as a pillow. I hum, "Thanks." A strand of hair tickles my nose, and I blow at it to try and move it off. Peter brushes it away, and I close my eyes, "Thanks again."

"I should really be the one thanking you."

I furrow my eyebrows, eyes still closed, "What do you mean?"

"(Y/n)."

I open my eyes, sitting up and looking at him properly, "Yeah?"

Peter sighs, running a hand through his hair. "You know what I'm talking about. I don't know what I would do if you hadn't gone there today, and the fact that you gave away your identity.... God, (y/n), you really didn't have to do that for me."

I tilt my head as he looks at me with worried eyes. "Peter-" "No, no, I have no idea why you did that. Now- now that everyone knows, you could be in danger. What if someone takes you when you're most vulnerable and hurts you, and then..."

His voice is choked up as his eyes slowly begin to turn glossy, and I move closer to him, pulling him into a hug. He rests his forehead on my shoulder, and I rub his back, playing with his curls in my other hand. "I just don't know what I'd do if you got hurt or taken away," he whispers, and I tighten my arms around him. I kiss his cheek, softly, and pull away. "Listen, Peter. I did what had to be done. I did it for you, and I wouldn't take it back, okay? I'll be safe. You don't need to worry about losing me."

He nods, the flush in his cheeks slowly disappearing. "Besides," I start, shrugging, "you can protect me or whatever. You'd be my hero."

He chuckles, pulling me into a gentle hug.

"You're already mine."