Chapter 18

NATASHA'S POV:
~~~~~~~~
"Holy shit."

I sprint to the door from my window, slamming it open and running the few feet to (y/n)'s room. I prepare to burst open the door... when I stop.

I press my ear to the wood, hearing absolute silence. I gently open her door, stepping inside. I gasp at the sight of (y/n), in her bed, sleeping peacefully.

As....

A human.

"I can't believe we forgot..." Tony's voice trails off as he comes to a halt behind me. "shit!" he exclaims, throwing his hands up and smiling in disbelief. "Don't wake her!" I hiss, slapping his arm as I shut her door. "She clearly knows and might have an explanation, so let's talk in the morning, okay?" He nods, and I go to my room.

When I step inside, a strange feeling overcomes me. I look around my room, fist tightening, but the feeling draws me to my window. I look outside, feeling eyes on me, but they vanish when a movement catches my attention. I tilt my head at the shadow blending into the city as it runs-- or, moves-- away.

"Weird."

THE NEXT MORNING/ YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
"Can we talk?" I ask, pulling Nat and Tony over to a couch while I sit across from them. "The weirdest thing happened last night," I say, twiddling my thumbs. "We know," they say in unison, and I raise my eyebrows.

"We realized last night that it was a full moon, and we went to check on you to see if you needed help. But when I opened your door... you were just sleeping in bed. As, well..." she gestures to me, with both her arms, shrugging. "Yeah," I start, directing my focus to Tony, "but I thought that I'd have to be older in order to not be... a werewolf, right?" Tony shakes his head, rubbing the bridge of his nose, "I don't know."

"Okay, it's fine. What matters is that we now don't have to worry about full moons. But... something else happened to me last night." Tony and Nat look at me in confusion as I go on to explain. "Before I took my shower, something weird happened to my eyes." Nat leans forward at this and Tony's knee starts bouncing up and down. "They were just..."

My mind flashes back to the lamp. Then my reflection. Then the moon.

Just a constant circle of things that add up but lead to even more confusion.

"... flickering. From gold, to (y/e/c), to other shades of gold, and then went back to normal again. That's when my window kept grabbing my attention. I looked outside and saw that it was a full moon and I hadn't shifted." I keep out the figure running away from the facility, not wanting to stress them out. And I'm not even sure if it was just paranoia or something similar.

"Maybe it was just an alert or something since it was a full moon that you hadn't shifted at," Tony suggests, and I shrug. It's a plausible reason.

Throughout the day, my thoughts remain jumbled and my gut feeling seems to come back, only slightly. I grab the guitar that I got for my fourteenth birthday and sit on the landing pad while I watch the bustle of the city below. I strum a bit, just humming.

I adjust my fingers on the frets as I start to softly sing.

(A/N: It's "Like This" by Shawn Mendes if you want the tune)

"I can try to stop it... All I like... Hands down, I've lost this fight... Thought I was strong... Enough for you... But I just can't hide the truth... So I guess I'm going down... I guess I'm going down..."

I stop abruptly as my gaze focuses below me. I can feel my eyes flicker slightly, and I furrow my eyebrows, setting my guitar down and leaning forward a bit.

Someone with dark hair stands a ways away from the facility, hidden a bit in the mass of people and streets below, but they're standing still. Looking up, but at this angle, I can't see their face. But I know what they're focusing on.

My bedroom window.

I quickly run from the landing pad, setting my guitar down at the top of the stairwell and shifting, jumping over most of the stairs. I shift again when I reach my door, slamming it open and sprinting to the window.

I pound my fist on the glass in frustration, a low growl settling in my throat.

They're gone.