23

• The Games About To Change •Word Count ~ 1292

Word Count ~ 1292

"Tell me what I have to do to gain your trust, and I will." Gold begged Neal.

Neal was now sitting by the fire that he'd made and we were both sitting either side of Henry.

This is so bloody awkward, being right in the middle of this father, son, argument. But I don't know what else to do, so I just sat and watched, listening to them argue.

"Give me the dark one dagger. I know you. I know you wouldn't come all the way to Neverland without it. It's the only thing that can control you. The only thing that could stop you. You wouldn't take any chances with it.

"I don't have it."

"Why are you lying?"

"I'm not lying to you, Bae. I hid it. So Pan couldn't get it, so he couldn't stop me."

"So unhide it!"

"My shadow took it."

Neal lets out a laugh, but not a happy joyful laugh. A laugh like he knew Gold would have an excuse for everything.

"Your shadow. Man, you've got an answer for everything, don't you?" Neal says while standing up.

"I'm telling you the truth, I swear."

"You know, maybe you did hide it. Maybe you do want to do the right thing. But that's today. What about tomorrow?"

"I've changed." Gold insisted.

"Have you?"

"Yes."

"The prophecy still stands. You save him, he's still your undoing."

"I'm still willing to die for him."

"What happens if we get back, and you're reunited with Belle, and you realise that the only thing standing between you and your happy ending is my son? And suddenly, undoing doesn't sound so great."

Gold shoot his head slightly, tears brimming in his eyes.

"You're my happy ending."

Damn, I felt my heart break a little once he said that. 'Must be nice to have someone that cares about you that much' I thought to myself.

"This is, because it's my redemption. I can be strong, son, if you have faith in me."

New walked over to Gold and grabbed his hand tightly.

"You know, when I was living here and sleeping in a cave, I used to dream of you coming to rescue me. But then I'd wake up and remember how you left me behind." Neal said softly. His voice becoming slightly louder when he spoke next.

"You left your own son behind for the power of that dagger. How can I think that things would ever be different?" Neal let go of his fathers hand and backed away.