Step In The Door

Double update!?!!?!? What!!!!! Haha. Hey everyone!! Thank you all so much for reading and commenting! Hope you guys enjoy this next chapter!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The day went very well. David had really spent their time together by telling her everything about his personal life. Stuff that he went through as a kid, how he had grown and matured, he even told her the sick way he became the way he was. The unfortunate part was they already knew this about him. Maya really needed something that she could bring to the table that was new.

As the day was slowly coming to an end, Maya was feeling hopeless. He hadn't shared one thing with her that she could report back to Michael about. Not one thing that she could pin on him and could further her along on this case.

They had gotten back to the house and walked to David's office. Even more of the women were gone. Lydia included. He led her in the room and locked the door. A sound that seemed to echo across the room as he turned back towards her. Maya held her breath as he passed her and over to his desk.

He reached into one of his drawers and pulled out a file. Maya eyed it and looked back at him with a confused look. He motioned her over with his head and he opened the file so that she could see it.

"Next week, I am having a charity ball. Money will be donated by my guests who will only be some of the wealthiest people in New York. They think that the money is going to an organization for kids. But that's just my cover up, its actually going to something bigger. Something that I have been working on for ages now." He told her. Maya stared at the file and then looked up at him.

"What is it?" She asked him. David just smiled at her and shook his head.

"Not now." He told her. "There will be plenty of time to talk about what I have planned later, but right now this is what we have to focus on. It will be an honor to have you by my side during this." He told her. Maya smiled up at him and nodded her head.

"Of course." She told him. "I would love to be by your side. Do you think you'll ever trust me enough to tell me what this big thing your planning is?" She asked him, her voice slightly teasing. He smirked at her.

"I will. But right now I want to keep it to myself. Not even James or Max know what I'm planning." He told her. "Some things you just have to keep to yourself." He told her. Maya nodded and smiled.

"I agree."
~

"He's letting his guard down. That's good." Michael said. "He let you in, told you a little bit about what he's planning. This means you're doing a good job."

"But you said you knew about the charity ball." Maya said. Michael nodded.

"I do. But you heard him, he's planning something even bigger. Something he hasn't even told me or even Max about. You know it's something big when he hasn't told Max. He tells Max everything, thinks he needs training so that he can take over one day." Michael explained.

"You think he'll really tell me?" Maya asked him. Michael nodded.

"Oh yeah. He already gave you more than he's given anyone else. Just telling you that he's planning something big proves that you have gained his trust." He told her. "But it could also be problematic."

"Why is that?" She asked.

"Well, as soon as he tells you whatever it is that he's planning, we're going to have to figure something out that's safe for you. Because once those plans get ruined, he'll know that you're not who you say you are. You're the only one that he told, the only one that would have been able to snitch on him. We'll have to put you in hiding until this whole thing really gets resolved."

"No way!" Maya protested. Michael rolled his eyes.

"Maya, it would be suicide to stick around after we storm in on his parade. You'll need to go somewhere safe." He told her. Maya shook her head.

"No. I'm sticking to this thing through the end. Carry started this, and I'm going to finish it." Her face was a look of determination. Michael sighed.

"Look he already suspects me, so we're going to have to stop these meetings. Lay low for a while. I need to try and do some things to get me back on his good graces." He told her. Maya nodded.

Currently they were taking a walk along the property line of where David's house sat. David was at a meeting for the day and wouldn't be back until much later. It seemed like this was the only time they got to talk to each other. Any time they would look at each other, David seemed to notice. Michael had known David for two years now. He knew what certain looks meant. And he knew that if he wanted to keep his life, he had to be more careful where Maya was concerned.

"Are you ever going to tell me whats up with Max?" Maya asked him. Michael visibly stiffened and shook his head.

"Do not waste your time on trying to make a relationship with Max. You need to focus on getting closer with David and getting him to tell you whatever it is that he's planning." Michael told her.

"But, Max has been acting weird. We were getting along so great and then he just out of no where stopped talking to me. Do you think he knows something?" Michael didnt say anything before he stopped walking and turned to Maya with a hard look on his face.

"I am telling you to forget about Max. You need to trust me like I am a member of your team. Let me take care of Max." He told her. Maya didnt say anything, but she nodded and agreed.

She knew there was something going on, something that neither of them were telling her. But if Max had known anything, he surely would have told David by now. She just didnt understand why nobody would tell her what his problem was.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________