New Arrivals ☾ 4-01

Luna and I chatted as we made our way toward the Great Hall. Padma and Cho were a few steps behind. Padma had heard some students say something about a carriage and a ship arriving at Hogwarts, but we were upstairs unpacking in our dorm.

"I wonder if they've replaced our Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher yet." Cho said. I shrugged as we turned the corner into the Great Hall.

The girls all looked up when I gasped. At the end of the enormous room, sitting at the staff table next to Barty Crouch, sat my father. Grinning his classic crooked grin, he turned and straightened when he saw me enter the room. My footsteps echoed across the walls as I ran toward my father. My hair turned a bright yellow as it flew behind me. Father stood up and edged around the table and encircled me in his arms.

"Missed you, kid." He whispered in my ear as we hugged. I opened my mouth to ask why he was here but he put a finger to his lips.

"I promise you'll find out everything in a moment, darling. Go sit with your friends. Dumbledore will make his announcements soon." I nodded as he squeezed my hand, sending me off toward the Ravenclaw table.

I sat next to Davies and Stretton as my father sat back down next to Crouch. The Department head turned and began a quiet, hushed conversation with my father. I frowned as I watched the two converse secretively.

"Hey, Aurora. How've you been?" Stretton smirked as he put an arm around my shoulders. I rolled my eyes and shrugged him off.

"Quite well, thank you. And you?" He shrugged and grinned.

"Been waiting for Quidditch to start up again. Davies here is chomping at the bit." He motioned toward Roger, who I now noticed was chewing his nails aggressively. He frowned as I smacked his hand away. Being our quidditch captain, he was always anxious at the start of the season, but tonight he seemed on edge.

"You alright Rog?" Jeremy smacked his arm, causing Davies to snap out of his daze. The captain looked around at his snickering teammates.

"Yeah, sorry. I'm good. Aurora, isn't that your dad?" He pointed toward the table and I nodded. He smiled at me curiously, but his attention was pulled away as Dumbledore approached his dias at the front of the room. The chatter of new and old students died down as Dumbledore cleared his throat. My eyes danced over to my father, who gave me a wink before turning back to the Headmaster.

"Now that we're all settled in and sorted," The professor started, "I'd like to make an announcement." The large doors creaked loudly as Filch hobbled into the room. "This castle will not only be your home this year, but home to some very special guests as well." I heard Fred and George snicker as Filch broke out into a hobbled run towards Dumbledore.

"You see, Hogwarts has been chosen," He stopped as the squib whispered something into his ear. Students giggled as they waited on the announcement. I exhaled impatiently. Dumbledore nodded to the caretaker, and Filch broke into another run as he exited the hall.

"So. Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Triwizard Tournament." Whispers broke out into the crowd as I raised my eyebrow. My father was trying to hide a grin behind his hand as he wiggled his eyebrows at me. I giggled to myself. Father was always excited about the events he got to plan, but I could tell this would go down as one of the favourites.

"Now for those of you who don't know, The Triwizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single student will be selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if chosen, you stand alone. Trust me when I say, these contests are not for the faint-hearted. But more of that later! For now, please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, and their headmistress, Madam Maxime!"