Slug-Club No.1 ☾ 6-05

"You're sure Katie did not have this in her possession when she entered the Three Broomsticks?" McGonagall's voice was wavering as she solemnly questioned Leanne. The necklace was in its proper casings, sitting on McGonagall's desk, and Hermione, Ron, Harry and I were standing behind Leanne, waiting to be questioned.

"It's like I said," Leanne answered, surely. "She left to go to the loo, and when she came back she had the package. She said it was important that she deliver it."

"Did she say to whom?" McGonagall asked again. Turning skeptically back to the necklace.

"To Professor Dumbledore." McGonagall inhaled sharply at Leanne's answer. She looked down at the floor, then back to the student.

"Very well. Thank you, Leanne. You may go." She turned to the rest of us and shook her head, frowning motherly. "Why is it that when something happens it is always you four?"

"Believe me, professor, I've been asking myself the same question for six years." Ron replied dutifully. I covered my small laugh with a hand as clicking shoes echoed into the room. We turned to see Snape walking toward us, black cloak billowing theatrically.

"Oh, Severus. I'm glad you came." Snape nodded and approached the desk, McGonagall gesturing to the necklace. He used his wand to pick it up, examining it thoroughly. "What do you think?" The necklace turned over in the air, showing all angles.

"I think Miss Bell is lucky to be alive." He replied monotonously.

"She was cursed, wasn't she? I know Katie, off the Quidditch pitch, she wouldn't hurt a fly." Harry urged. I nodded in conformation. I had gone head to head with her before during a match, and that was the only time she had ever shown any aggression. She was quite an angry player too.

"If she was delivering that to Professor Dumbledore, she wasn't doing it knowingly." I added, Harry giving me a small smile for the support. McGonagall nodded solemnly in conformation.

"Yes, she was cursed." She replied.

"It was Malfoy." Harry stated bluntly. I snapped my head toward him, and Hermione's eyes went wide. McGonagall's did too, and she looked down sternly at Harry.

"That is a very serious accusation, Potter." She snapped. Snape turned and his eyes narrowed toward all four of us.

"Indeed. Your evidence?"

"I just know." Harry replied. I exhaled sharply, earning a squeeze of the hand from Hermione. Harry was getting on my nerves with this. I know Draco hasn't been the friendliest toward anyone lately, but these accusations were a bit of a stretch. It almost felt like he was insulting me, even though it was directed toward Draco. Plus, the lack of proof did not make any of us look good. Hermione looked angry.

"You just... know." Snape echoed. Ron flinched. "Once again, you astonish with your gifts, Potter. Gifts mere mortals can only dream of possessing. How grand it must be to be the Chosen One." At this, McGonagall tilted her head toward Snape, eyes widening further. Harry held Snape's cold stare for a moment before McGonagall thought it wise to intervene.

"I suggest you go back to your dormitories." She nodded, approving herself. "All of you."

-

I slid my pyjamas on and climbed into my bed, warmed by some sort of charm placed on the dorm decades ago. I had never really appreciated it until now, warming after the adventures of today. Quidditch, the Three Broomsticks, Katie, and now Draco.

His expression from today at the pub would not fade away. I can tell something is wrong, but that was obvious with the way he's been acting. First Knockturn Alley, then the train, the way he acts in classes and in the great hall, and now this. He seems completely disconnected from everything and everyone, and I hate seeing him this way. I want so badly to be there for him and his family, especially after what happened to Lucius, but he just pushes me away. I suppose I'll have to remedy that. He can't push me away forever, and I don't care if he wants my help or not.