Class... ☾ 4-02

As I looked around the transformed Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, I frowned. It had changed significantly since Lupin left. It was now covered in large mirrors and glass apparatuses, and glass jars filled with various plants, insects, and other grotesque creatures. I sat beside Hermione, and she shuddered with a glance toward the glass containers. Resulting of the numerous guests we had taken in this year, all of our classes now included all four houses. Which was nice, because last year I hadn't had many with other houses besides Care of Magical Creatures and Defence Against the Dark Arts.

Our new professor, that Dumbledore had previously introduced, hobbled his way to the front of the room, and grabbed a piece of chalk to scribble on the blackboard.

"Alastor Moody. Ex-auror, Ministry malcontent, and your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" He surveyed the room with his whizzing blue eye, his face twisted in an expression of discontent. The magical prosthetic landed on Harry for a moment, and held its watchful gaze. Nobody in the class dared to utter a word, fearful of the infamous professor in front of them.

"When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are." Hermione raised her hand. He pointed at her, and turned around, moving toward the blackboard again. She cleared her throat.

"Three, sir."

"And they are so named?"

"Because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them will-"

"Earn you a one-way ticket straight to Azkaban. Correct! Now, the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared! You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk Mr. Finnegan!" He screeched, Seamus freezing in his movement. Moody spun on his heel as everyone gasped.

"Ugh, no way! The old codger can see out the back of his head!" Seamus whispered to Dean, who was holding in a laugh from beside him.

"And hear across classrooms!" Moody yelled, chucking the piece of chalk at Seamus, who ducked, to his credit. This guy was crazy. I could feel the nerves creeping their way up my arms. Moody's eyes landed on me as my hair darkened. His single normal eye narrowed. I folded my arms in defence, not breaking eye contact. He slowly approached the desk Harry and Ron were seated at, right at the front, dead center. I noticed Draco snicker at Ron, who recoiled at the lack of distance between him and the professor.

"So. Which curse shall we see first." Moody shoved his face right in their personal space, and I cringed at the close proximity. "Weasley!"

"Yes!"

"Stand." Ron looked like he was about to wet himself as he reluctantly stood up in front of the deranged Professor. "Give us a curse."

"Well, my-my dad did tell me about one," Ron hesitated, "The imperius curse."

Moody nodded and made some noises of agreement. "Oh, yes, yes, your father would know all about that one." He chided. "Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why." He marched to the table at the front, opening up one of many large jars. He pulled out a disgustingly large insect, that looked like a cross between a spider, a scorpion, and a beetle. I shivered, wrapping my arms tighter around myself. My hair faded into a dark gray-ish purple. It was obvious I was not enjoying this lesson.

Moody held the bug-creature in his hand and pointed his wand at it. He quickly used an enlargement spell, and proceeded to cast the curse.

"Imperio..." He flung the bug onto Neville's desk and the sheepish Gryffindor flinched backward. It then landed on top of Crabbe's head and he almost started bawling. I giggled a little bit.  Padma laughed at him from beside her twin, and shrieked when it bounced over and started crawling up her arm. The bug levitated over to Ron, and sat on his head. I wouldn't have been surprised if he fainted right there. Moody laughed from the front, his wand still held in the air. Draco laughed too, elbowing Goyle beside him, before Moody flung the bug right onto his nose. I stifled a laugh with my hand as he shrieked. Goyle smacked it off of his face, and the bug landed on the table.