It Should've Been Me

Finding an empty seat during lunch is a miracle in itself. Saving a seat for you and your friend is cool and all, but sitting with FIVE people at lunch talking and having fun was a dream that came true for Mike. He was currently retelling the events that took place a few hours earlier in the hall.

"..So it turns out that they baited me to try and hurt Mara but I told them off cause I couldn't let them hurt her" He gave everyone a bit of a confident smile, but it was also warm and friendly.

Asher smiled. "Nice, dude" He held up his hand for a fist bump.

Mike laughed and fist bumped him. Matt raised a brow and spoke. "Let's not forget they hurt you too, Mike"

Evelyn put a comforting arm on Matt's shoulder. "And you did what a friend should do. You helped him" She smiled. Matt nodded gratefully at her.

Jordi had a big smile on her face. "I gotta admit. It's pretty impressive". Mara had a small smile on her face as well as a light blush.

Mike still had that giddy look on his face. He turned to Mara. "Say, why don't I come over to your house as a reward?"

Matthew cringed. "You made that sound way too age-inappropriate"

Evelyn slapped his arm. "Matt!" She scolded, blushing out of embarrassment.

Mara blushed slightly, and then she felt immediate panic. "A-are you sure that's where you wanna go?"

"Ow..." While Matt complained about getting slapped on his arm, Mike looked at Mara confidently. "Yes. That is where I wanna go"

She wanted to say no, but her anxiety kicked in at the last second "Yeah, sure"

"Cool!" Mike piped up, oblivious to her inner conflict. Matt smirked "Sounds like an ideal place for a second date"

"Y-yup. Ideal for sure" Mara was doing her best to sound excited. She was glad for her acting classes because she was doing a pretty good job of faking it.

"About that, have you thought of a good place for our date, Matt?" Evelyn looked at him. The boy started to feel a bit nervous before quickly thinking of an answer "It's a surprise. You'll have to wait and see"

The blonde girl raised a brow at first but she accepted the answer and nodded her head. "Okay, I'm excited"

Asher couldn't help but glare a bit at Matt. Thoughts ran quickly in the former's head, most of which were questions that he had no answer for, and he will probably never get the answers.

What does he have that I don't? Why did Eve have to pick that loser when she could have had me?

Noticing the glare he was receiving from Asher, Matt looked around for a bit before standing up. Asher didn't scare him, but that look was kind of unnerving, and Matt did not need drama in the lunchroom again.

"Yeah...we should probably start getting ready to go back to class, kids"

A playful smirk formed on Mara's face. "Did you just call us kids?"

Matt started stretching as he answered. "Yeah, why?"