Christmas

I thought I would set up a holiday piece for this story for everyone (not too sure how it came out though)

  I place the multiple boxes inside my bolted on metal box in the bed of my truck. There was a multitude of colorful jars of jams and jellies. Not to mention the pickles, regular pickles and an assortment of pickled hot peppers. I also had a few jars of home made salsa mixed in. Greg was walking slowly over tot he truck with the large basket of fresh bread. I already had put the mountain of zucchini bread and banana bread in the box.

I had been baking for the last week, the jars were made over the year as things were in season. I certainly had a lot more than I had the previous years for this run. I do this every Christmas bringing friends some of my home made foods and my baked goods. I even had a tray of cinnamon rolls for Seamus after Blackstone let it slip he liked them.

When I stop at the Smaten's to drop their large box off I'll pick up their assortment that needs delivering on my route. Greg was being pensive because while I had been giving him an allowance he hadn't been spending it. Instead he asked Simon to keep it in his account, he had called Simon to ask about buying gifts and once Simon heard that he sent over a card for the boy to use. He didn't know what to buy for Gale yet, and he didn't want to ask me.

I figured I'd let him look about while we were out doing this run, besides teaching him a few lessons. Greg climbs into the cab and I get in after him grateful that I had warmed the truck up. It generally doesn't get terribly cold here this time of year, but on a cold day a warm car is a good thing. I drive down the driveway and ask Greg. "So did your parents ever take you to church for Christmas?" Greg's head perks up looking confused, "yes we'd go for a late service and I'd always fall asleep. Why did you want to know Nancy?"

I point towards town, "well we can stop by the churches to see if one has the service you are sue to for Christmas if you want to go." Greg shakes his head, "I never understood church. My parents always told me I'd understand when I got older." I nod my head having been told this when I had called the catholic church in the nearby town, I didn't want to deprive Greg of something if he wanted to go through with it.

Greg then gives me a curious look, "don't shifters worship the Moon Goddess though? Why would they celebrate Christmas?" I smile at Greg, I was glad he was thinking. I focus on missing the ice filled potholes. "Is there something wrong with enjoying a holiday that makes you focus on family and friends?" Greg shakes his head and goes to speak when I respond with, "while the humans all participate in some sort of winter holiday. The other species do as well, most revolve around the family and your closest friends and what the next year will hold."

I turn and smile at Greg pulling out some historical information for him. "Most modern shifter traditions this time of the year center on things shifters did to hide themselves from those who mis understood us in generations past. While those people of the past were misinformed. That doesn't make them bad."

We pull up to the feed store so I could pass a box of goodies to the Frendel family. We get out of the truck and I hand Greg the box as we walk into the building. Mrs Frendel was sitting inside talking with the old farmers while her husband worked at the counter. She spies me and Greg, "oh how nice it is you showed up now! I was hoping I'd get to wish you a happy Holiday, while you did your rounds Nancy." I smile as Greg slowly passes her the box of goodies I set up for her and her husband and I pass her a small bag. "For your daughter, I know how she loves my picked peppers." She chuckles as she sets them down and she hugs Greg who then wanders off to look about and Mrs Frendel gives him a questioning look. I chuckle. "He's still shopping for Gale," the older woman laughs. "He hasn't figured out yet it doesn't have to be prefect huh?" I shake my head, smiling at the boy as he wanders the store.