Memorial

Two weeks after the Dragon Flight I have a very angry pair of raccoon shifters show up at my house looking like they want to give me a very long talking too. I chuckle and say, "well Doug you certainly learned how to give a decent angry look like your parents do and it seems Brenda is a quick study in that regard as well." The two do not look amused at my comment, they had found me while I was fixing a small memorial in my memory garden for Jake and Dang.

It was a stone carving I requested from Simon with a simple plaque stating, "Remember the fallen witch who attempted to make things right even if the attempt was foolish". Below had his name and on the side was a lifelike cat attempting to rub the plaque, it was carved with a pattern that looked similar to Dang's.

After laying another new brick in the dirt in front of it, I look up at the pair still unhappy. "Listen like I told your mom, this is meant to be my job. I am very glad it didn't kill me, however if I was going to die. Then I would have," I shrug and place another brick in the ground to make the small path to the carving.

I look at them both out of the corner of my eye and they look very sheepish, Doug grew up knowing that I could die for humans but Brenda only just found out. Seeing as most shifters know little about 'specials' unless they live near one. "I did see Death, ask Marchosias when you see him. I am pretty sure the two polar opponents can both see Death. Odd though Death appeared as an old grandfather."

Brenda squats down next to me and places a hand on my shoulder, "isn't it odd to see Death if they aren't there for you?" I nod my head and place another brick, I was still surprised the couple was here as everyone else I knew was busy preparing my Bonding Ceremony and I was told in no uncertain terms I was not to have a hand in it's preparation. That bothered me a little, Blackstone was keeping Simon busy as well. Seeing as how Simon will be considered just a regular employee after verses a resident.

The light heralding the apperance of an Angelus shines and the old one that came for Zebediah's body appears next to a perfect replica of Zebidiah in a statue in the spot that I was asked to keep clear for his memorial stone. I raise an eyebrow at the statue, "well I certainly was not expecting that." The Angelus nods it's head, "in our realm they are kept in a special museum where you can 'store' it when it's not being viewed. The normal artist for this project when they found out a request was made for a copy for your realm made one out of regular stone. Which is not as medium they normally work in." I nod my head, I'm not surprised they do not typically work in such a medium. I had spent the last two days placing the stones for that walkway Marchosias had given me the precise measurements that he said the statue would fit in. I had not believed him at the time however.

I give the old Angelus another look and I see it's wings droop slightly. "Yes I did not need to bring it myself, however I wanted to apologize. My kind while we love the few children we have tend to treat our half children rather poorly. I should have been kinder when retrieving him, especially after what you went through."

I nod my head accepting the Angelus' words and I fit another brick. The old one looks like he really wants to say something more and clears it's throat. "Listen, your friends are allowed to be upset that you were harmed. Also the others in the community aren't trying to upset you over your Bonding Ceremony. They just want to give you something that hope can be of equivalent value."

I shoot the old Angelus a dirty look, "yes they are allowed that. However to try to read me the riot act the day I receive the memorials for my friends who shouldn't have died. Also it would be nice to see them at least a little bothered that we did lose three lives and Kiko's husband having been harmed as well."

The pair look embarrassed and the old Angelus nods his head looking thoughtful. "Maybe they should be mindful of that yes?" The Angelus looks at the plaque, "I wonder if that young man knew fully what he was getting into attempting what he did." I shrug reaching for another brick which Doug gently places in my hand looking apologetic. Brenda jumps up and grabs the small bucket of dirt to fill the between spaces with. The Angelus winks at me and vanishes, and the pair help me finish the pathway. After sweeping the dirt to smooth the surface over the bricks I give the pair a hug.

"Something you don't probably know is that Dang had brought over a dozen unpartnered familiars to help guard at the festival. Four of which were patrolling the forest where you were, there was a concern that the blood mages would go for 'hostages' that wouldn't really end up as actual hostages." The pair look down at the cat image their eyes both watering, I shake my head. "So being annoyed that I did the job I was born to do when these three died unnecessarily is an insult to their sacrifices." I wave at the plaque, "I am sure the only thought he had in reference to what he did was that maybe he could fix what ever he did wrong."

The worst part about Jake is that I had attempted to attend his funeral and the Dr wouldn't allow me to go. I even had attempted to have the statue left at the family home for him, but the old man was so angry that his grandson was dead; that he partly blamed me for it. He can if he needs that to get through his grief. But the young man chose to do this on his own.

I wave at the Angelus statue, "that was dumb luck. However technically the only way I would have survived that encounter unscathed. There was a small chance though, once the blood mages were dead that Emerald could have just dripped some of her blood over the table and it would have severed the sacrificial connection. I was very recently very politely informed to not allow that to happen to another of the local holy sites. The tribe was very understanding that it had been out of my hands, but would prefer that I not wind up in that situation again." I half chuckle, "like I would have done it for the fun of it."

The pair then look embarrassed and Doug comments after rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, um. Mom had actually sent us over because she didn't want you to feel left out. We're suppose to take you out and do some fun things with you." I raise an eyebrow, "fun things?" Doug shrugs, "her words exactly. Also since they want you to not go into town, Mr Lee gave us a list of restaurants in Springfield he would go to. So I guess that was a nudge to take you into Spring field and keep you busy."

Brenda chuckles, "and we're suppose to keep you out of the dress shop. From what I have heard he is considering this gown for you to be his Masterwork." I mentally groan and roll my eyes, a Masterwork for something I will only be wear a few hours then never again? Seems silly to me. However I agree with the idea that they were meant to keep me busy away from our town. So I guess I should play along and go to Springfield with them. I eye my memorial garden, "fine but we stop at every nursery while there, I want some plants for the cracks in the paths and I need to find the right things for the planters around their memorials." The pair nod their heads collectively and we head out to town.