Allies

The ships soon docked in the bay of Hardhome

The ships soon docked in the bay of Hardhome. Ella sat behind Jon as their small boat rowed to shore. Her eyes scanned the surrounding area as they landed on the coastline. Mountains lined either side of the small village, as thousands of people dressed in the familiar gray Tormund wore daily. Of course Ella had been North of the Wall, but the mountains and the sea made everything so calm and serene. And Ella felt as though she would never get used to the beauty of the true North, as her wildling friend called it.

Tormund escorted Jon, Ella, and the rest of the brothers to the village center.

"You can run back to the ships if you like," Tormund whispered to the girl. Ella shook her head. "Suit yourself, little crow."

"Do you trust me, Jon and Ella Snow?" Tormund asked. Jon and Ella felt every eye on them. The twins knew they were in over their heads. They were in wildling territory, and the Snow twins did not have the protection of Castle Black.

"Does it make us fools?" Ella questioned. Tormund smirked at the pair, knowing that they were already fools for attempting such a heroic deed.

The trio continued uphill, as the wildlings kept a wary eye on the crowd dressed in black. With every step, the wildlings took three steps away from the crows. Ella kept her focus on the ground as gravel crunched beneath her leather boots. Her heart pounded against her chest, wondering why she volunteered her brother for such a foolish task.

Tormund came to a halt, along with the men following behind him. Ella glanced from the ground, watching as a man covered in bones from head to toe stepped approached them. Ella recognized the bone man from her first interaction with the wildlings. He did not like her all those years ago, and Ella presumed his opinion had not changed.

"Lord of Bones. Been a long time," Tormund greeted his long lost companion.

"Last time I saw you the little crows were your prisoner. The other way around now, eh? What happened?" The man darted his eyes to Jon and Ella, his nostrils flaring in hatred for the Snow twins.

"War," Tormund said simply.

"War?" the Lord of Bones repeated. "You call that a war? The greatest army the North has ever seen, only to be cut down by a Southern king?"

The man inched closer, causing Ella to hide behind Jon for protection, just as she did as a child. The man stepped closer, pushing Jon to the side. The man examined Ella from top to bottom. "My, what a beaut you are. I've always wanted to taste a female crow. Maybe when the other crows leave, they'll leave you behind, and I can show you how the Free Folk fuck their women."

Ella tensed, as Tormund stood in front of her, shielding her from the Bone Lord. Tormund was angered by his friend's words, bur he kept his composure. "We should gather the elders. Find somewhere quiet to talk." Tormund instructed.

"You don't give the orders here," the man snarled, moving his eyes from the girl to Tormund.

"I'm not giving an order," Tormund snarled.