Beauty in the Flames

A few days later, the wildling stopped along the river banks to make camp for the evening

A few days later, the wildling stopped along the river banks to make camp for the evening. Ella gathered wood for fires, alongside Jon and Ygritte. Ella told Jon of her plan the night before. If they were to safely return to Castle Black, they needed to fit in with the Free Folk.

As they returned to camp, Ella sat her bundle of wood beside Tormund. She looked around, admiring the beauty of such a dangerous place she had come to.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Tormund asked her. She simply nodded her head. "Bet they don't have views like this South of the Wall."

"No," Ella spoke. "They don't."

"Come, girl. Sit. It's warmer by the fire." Tormund motioned her over to him as she began to shiver. Ella took the spot next to him, and she felt him scoot closer and wrap his arm around her. Ella shifted uncomfortably in her seat, trying to scoot away from the gruff man beside her.

"Stop moving girl. There, is this better?" He grunted. He removed his cloak and wrapped it around Ella's small frame.

She nodded her head and gazed into the flames. Ella didn't know why, but she always felt at ease when looking at fire. The way the flames danced, the colors, all of it intrigued her. Ella thought of the time her father once caught her playing near an open flame with her favorite wooden doll. The doll fell into the fire, and Ella reached her hand in to get it. Lord Stark stumbled upon this sight and instantly pulled her out of the hearth.

"You can't play in the fireplace, Ella!" He yelled as he ran her to Maestar Luwin. "You burned yourself. You need to be careful, my child. Fire is nothing to play with."

"But Daddy, I'm not hurt. Look!" Ella rolled up her tiny sleeve. Ned's eyes scanned her arm from top to bottom. There was not a single mark on the child's fair skin.

"How is that-?" Ned stopped himself as he put Ella down. He realized why the child did not burn. "Ella, you must not tell anyone, do you hear me? Not even Jon. This must be our secret."

"But I want to show Jon my trick!" She squealed.

"You musn't tell anyone Ella, okay?" Ned Stark urgred his daughter.

"I promise, Father!" She squealed.

She smiled up at the man with a toothless grin. He dismissed her, and he watched as her small legs carried her down the corridor. Ever since that day, Ella loved sitting by the fire and watching the flames. Something that was dangerous and scary did not hurt her, but she never wondered why.

Ellas's thoughts were interrupted when she saw Jon and Ygritte approach. She smiled at her brother as they stood before Tormund.

"Orell says there are crows patrolling the top of the Wall," Tormund huffed. "Tell him what you know."