Castle Black

The traveling party arrived at Castle Black a few weeks after their departure from Winterfell

The traveling party arrived at Castle Black a few weeks after their departure from Winterfell. Ella clung to Tyrion and Jon during the journey, carerfully avoiding the rapists and thieves that joined their party. Ella also noticed that no one dared to bother her with Arena at her side.

The party stopped in its tracks when they saw the tall wall of ice stretching above into the sky. The clouds hung low, making the wall taller and more intimidating. 700 feet is how tall the structure was, Ella was sure of it.

Ella heard hooves shuffling next to her. She peeled her eyes from the ice structure and turned to see Uncle Benjen smiling at her.

"Marvelous, isn't it?" He spoke.

Words did not escape Ella's mouth. Instead, she nodded her head and turned her gaze back to the giant wall. Ella was first introduced to the Lord Commander Jeor Morning once they entered the castle walls. He was not happy at first with the thought of hosting a lady, but Benjen convinced him to let Ella stay for a short time.

A few days later, Ella settled into her chambers. She had a single room, right next to the Lord Commander, Jeor Mormont, and Lord Tyrion. Since she was a guest, Lord Commander Mormont allowed her to stay in the nicer quarters, away from the brothers of the Watch.

One early afternoon, Ella stood on a wooden balcony overlooking the courtyard, along with Lord Tyrion and Jeor Mormont. Arena was at her side as she watched her brother and the new recruits train in one on one combat. Ella heard shouts from the man training them, Ser Alliser Thorn. Ella already made up her mind that she did not like the man.

"He's charming," Ella remarked.

Lord Tyrion laughed at her statement, but Jeor Mormont was not ammused. "I don't need him to be charming. I need him to train these boys and turn them in to men of the Night's Watch."

"May the gods bless you with that," Tyrion said, earning a smile from Ella.

Ella watched Tyrion and Lord Morning whisper to each other. The Lord Commander passed Tyrion a tiny scroll. The Lannister man opened it, then rolled it back up once he read its contents. His eyes landed on Ella, before tucking the scroll into his sleeve.

"What?" Ella asked. Her eyes lingered on Tyrion before moving to Lord Commander Mormont.

"Your brother Bran is awake," Tyrion informed her.

Ella's heart broke. She wasn't there for her brother when he needed her. Then again, maybe Bran was better off without Ella. If she just kept an eye on him, he would be able to walk and live like a normal person.

Lord Commander Mormont pulled out another scroll, passing it Ella. She took the paper in her hands and bid farewell to the men.

Asena stayed close to her heels as she made it to her room. Ella noticed the direwolf sigil pressed into the wax seal. She carefully broke the seal and examined the handwriting. It was from her father.

My dearest Ella,

I hope this letter reaches you soon. I am so sorry that you feel like you are unloved, but sweet girl, you are not. I love you very much, more than you ever know. Your brothers and sisters love you very much. And someday, dear child, you will find someone who loves you with every fiber in their being. You will forget about the tenporary pain you feel now and put it behind you. Ella, please know you will always have a place in my home. You may not have my name, but you have my blood. And know that Winter is coming, and we must protect each other when the winter winds start to blow. I love you so much, my sweet girl, and know that your mother loved you very much, too. If you decide to leave Castle Black, you are welcome in King's Landing. We can stroll through the gardens, and I will tell you all about her. Until then, my sweet girl, stay safe. Lastly, you have a gift in your trunk. Please accept the small token as an apology. I know you do not care for materialistic things, but I hope you like it. I had it made especially for you.

Until I see you, my sweet Ella.

With all the love,

Your father

Ella felt a single tear roll down her cheek. She had been horrible to her father, and acted like a child. She needed to get to King's Landing. She needed to apologize to her father.

Ella remembered her father left her a gift in her trunk. She leapt off the bed and drug her belongings from underneath the bed. She opened the clasps and lifted the lid. She searched through her clothes and books, until she found a small brown package. She ripped the paper open and found a thin silver chain. Attached to the bottom was a small direwolf's head. Ella sighed, then placed the delicate necklace around her neck.

Ella crawled into bed and pulled the wool blanket over her head. Asena jumped onto the bed, curling up behind her human. Ella clutched the small piece of metal and cried. Cried for her brother, for her attitude towards her father, and for herself for being an awful daughter when her father was trying to be kind.