The Traitorous Bastards

The winter winds picked up as each day passed

The winter winds picked up as each day passed. Ella and Jon wrapped their cloaks tightly around their bodies as they ventured to the top of the Wall. Their uncle Benjen requested their presence, and the twins eagerly agreed to meet him. Ella was eager to reach the top and look out to the horizon.

Once the elevator reached the top, the twins exited the lift and stepped onto the solid block of ice. Ella's eyes landed on Benjen, who stood at the end of the walkway. He hovered over a small fire, trying to keep warm from the wind and snow. Benjen rose once he saw Jon and Ella approach. He pulled them both into a hug and smiled.

The trio walked to the edge of the wall as the winds whipped around them. Ella's eyes widened as she gazed out. For as far as she could see, there was nothing but blankets of snow covering the rolling hills. Ella found comfort in the beauty that lied beyond the Wall.

"I wanted to be here the first time you saw it," Benjen spoke to Jon.

The twins turned to their uncle as he continued. "I'm leaving first thing in the morning."

"Why?" Ella asked. "You just got back here."

"I'm a ranger," he replied. "My job is out there. There have been disturbing reports. Reports I don't want to believe."

"Let me come with you," Jon begged. "I'm ready."

"No, you aren't," Benjen stated.

"I'm better than anyone here," Jon said. "I can-"

"A man earns his position here," Benjen stated. "We can talk when I return. Until then, young ones."

With that, Benjen Stark disappeared out of sight. Ella sighed, then turned back to gaze beyond the Wall.

"It's so beautiful," Ella smiled. "I wish I could go out there."

"It's far too dangerous, El," Jon said. "Besides, just because something is beautiful, does not mean it's good."

The following weeks at Castle Black went by too quicky for Ella. Uncle Benjen did not return from his ranging expedition, and the twins were saddened by the news of his disappearance. Ella spent her time studying healing techniques from Maestar Aemon and learning how to sword right from Commander Mormont before the brothers of the Wall woke each day. Jon was sworn into the Night's Watch under a werewolf tree and named Lord Commander Mormont's personal steward. At first, Jon was upset that he was not named a ranger, but Ella convinced him that becoming the personal steward of the Lord Commander was a good thing. Mormont handpicked him. That had to mean something.

One night, Ella sat by the fire in her chambers. Asena sat at her heels as she read a book from Castle Black's library. A knock from her door broke the silence, and she allowed the visitor to enter. She turned to see a brooding Jon slump into her room with Ghost behind him. He sat on the bed and sighed loudly.

"What is it?" She asked him.

"We received a letter from King's Landing," he stated. "It's father."

Ella dropped her book to the floor as she rose from her seat. She turned to Jon, the fire reflecting in her blue eyes. "What about him?"

"He's been arrested and named a traitor. King Robert is dead, and Joffrey Baratheon has been named the new king," Jon huffed as he ran a hand through his hair. "Mormont confined me to quarters for attacking Thorne. The slick git called us traitorous bastards."

Ella's lips began to quiver as she gazed into the fire. She watched as the flamea danced in the hearth. Tears formed in her eyes, but she quickly blinked them away. Ella knew if Joffrey had her father imprisoned, there was no way Ned Stark was going to make it out of King's Landing alive.

"Are you all right?" Her brother asked. Ella told Jon what happened the day before they left Winterfell.

" You shouldn't have attacked Thorne," Ella said. "Thorne has had it out for you since day one."

"I know, El." Jon sighed. "But you are avoiding my question. Are you all right?"

Ella turned to her brother, eyeing the floor before looking up. "Yes, I am," she said softly.

"You lied," Jon said. " You looked down before you looked at me."

"You want me to be honest?" Ella asked. "I'm not all right. I feel guilty about how rude I was to father. It's my fault Bran is crippled. I haven't heard any word from Robb or Rickon. And Arya and Sansa are in the Capital with that wretched family alone! And what happens to me if father dies? If he's been branded a traitor by the Lannisters, he will not make it!"

"Easy El, easy." Jon soothes her. He pulled her into a tight hug and stroked her hair as she sobbed into his chest. "You can stay here. Surely Lord Commander Mormont will allow you to stay."

"He won't," Ella sobbed. "I have nowhere to go. They'll take me to a tavern, and I'll become a whore."

"Look at me," Jon said. He pulled Ella's puffy face up to his. "You are not going to a tavern. You will not become a whore. I'll make sure of it. You're staying right here with me. I won't let anything happen to you."

"Promise?" Ella asked, sounding like a small child.

"I promise," Jon said. "It's us against the world, and no one messes with the Snow twins."