Return to the Living

The morning sun rose and sat slowly that day as they continued to wait for Edd and the Free Folk

The morning sun rose and sat slowly that day as they continued to wait for Edd and the Free Folk. Ser Alliser spoke to Davos earlier that day, promising to pardon the brothers who betrayed the Watch, while allowing Ser Davos to travel South if they surrendered. Thorne said he would allow Ella to travel with Ser Davos, but Ella knew in her bones that would not be true. Thorne wanted Ella dead as much as he wanted Jon. Had Ella not been with Tormund the night Jon was murdered, she would be lying next to her brother, still and not breathing.

Beams from the moon poked through the closed windows as Ser Alliser met with Ser Davos once again. This time, it was for good. If they did not give in to his wishes or fight, they would all die.

"It's time, Ser Davos," Thorne spoke through the wooden door. "Open the door, and the men inside can rejoin their brothers in peace."

Davos inched closer to the door, as Ella and the wolves stood beside Jon. If anything were to happen to Ella, the wolves would rip Thorne apart in a matter of seconds.

"We'll even let the wolves free North of the Wall where they belong. We'll allow you to take Miss Ella south with you. No one needs to die tonight."

"He's lying," Ella whispered to Davos. "He won't let me go free. He wants my blood just like he did Jon's. I know I was meant to die that night, too. I was just as responsible for letting the Free Folk through as Jon was. And I know he's not going to let Ghost and Asena go freely. He'll kill them if he gets his hands on them. He hates the wolves."

Davos sighed. They didn't have the men to hold off Thorne and take over Castle Black. Davos spun around, looking at Ella. Sadness washed over the old man as he saw the grief-stricken sister of Jon Snow.

"Miss Ella, I've never been much of a fighter," Davos said.

Ella's gaze dropped to the floor. She was in disbelief. The old man who fought long and hard for a failed king gave up on her brother, a man who Davos believed in so strongly.

Boots thumped against the wooden floor, causing Ella to look up. Her eyes landed on Ser Davos as he walked to the corner where Longclaw stood. He picked up the sword and grabbed the hilt. "I do apologize, Miss, for what you're about to see."

He unsheathed Longclaw, positioning it in his palms to fight. The brothers of the Watch readied their swords as well. Asena and Ghost stood by Jon's side, ready to pounce. Ella smiled and readied herself as well. She found a spare knife on the table and clutched it in her hands. It may not do much, but if she was quick, she could stab someone when needed.

Pounding from the other side of the door broke the silence. Someone attempted to break it down so the fighting could commence. The wood bowed inward, snapping under the force as the man continued to pound through the door. Asena and Ghost snarled with every blow from the ax.

As the man made his final strike, a loud thud rang through all of Castle Black. The castle fell silent as the thud continued. Ella's heart skipped a beat as she realized who it was. Tormund and the wildlings had made it.