Reunion

"When I was a child, my brother would tell me bedtime stories, of the man who murdered my father

"When I was a child, my brother would tell me bedtime stories, of the man who murdered my father. The man who stabbed him in the back and slit his throat. Who sat down on the Iron Throne and watched as his blood poured onto the floor."

Daenerys's eyes did not leave Jaime Lannister as she spoke to him. That morning, Jaime rode into Winterfell and was met in the courtyard by Bran Stark. The Starks and Daenerys called a meeting in the Great Hall once they discovered Cersei Lannister betrayed them.

"He told me other stories as well," Daenerys continued. "About all the things we would do to that man, once we took back the Seven Kingdoms and had him in our grasp. Your sister pledged to send her army North."

"She did," Jaime spoke.

"I don't see an army," she glared at the Kingslayer. "I see one man, with one hand. It appears your sister lied to me."

"She lied to me as well," Jaime shook his head. "She never had any intention of sending her army North. She has Euron Greyjoy's fleet, carrying twenty thousand fresh troops across the Narrow Sea. The Golden Company, bought and paid for, traveling from Essos to fight for the woman who bought them. Even if we do manage to defeat the dead, my sister will have more than enough to destroy the survivors."

"We?"

"I promised to fight for the living, and I intend to keep that promise." Jaime swore to the Dragon Queen.

Daenerys's chest rose and fell rapidly as Tyrion approached. Ella felt the anger radiating from Daenerys. One wrong word from her hand could send her over the edge.

"Your Grace," Tyrion rose from his seat and stood before his queen, "I know my brother."

"Like you know your sister," Daenerys snarled.

Ella watched as Tyrion furrowed his eyes, trying to find a way to convince the Dragon Queen not to feed his brother to Drogon. "He came here alone, knowing full well how he would be received. Why would he endanger himself like that if he weren't telling the truth?"

"Perhaps he trusts his little brother to defend him, right up until the moment he slits my throat."

"You're right," the Lady of Winterfell said. "We can't trust him. He attacked our father in the streets. He tried to destroy our house and our family, the same as he did yours."

"Would you like an apology? Yo won't get one from me. Everything I did, I did for my house and my family. I'd do it all again." Jaime shouted.

"The things we do for love," Bran spoke, his voice free of any emotion.

Every eye turned to the crippled boy, watching as he stared at the Kingslayer.

"Tell me, Ser Jaime," Daenerys broke the silence that fell over the Great Hall. "Why abandon your house and family now?"

"This goes beyond and loyalty," Jaime stated. "This is about survival."

Brienne of Tarth rose from her seat, taking her place next to Jaime. Ella did know Brienne, and she trusted the woman's judgement, as did Sansa.