Patronus Charm

"I've asked Lupin to teach me how to fight the dementors," Harry said as him and Y/N walked to Lupin's room. "And he wanted to bring you with me in case I decided to go, since you were attacked as well."

"Well, I would like to learn to fight them," Y/N admitted. "How do we do that?"

"I don't know. That's why we're going to him," Harry said. Y/N nodded. 

Once the two arrived in Lupin's room, they waited as Lupin came over. 

"Harry, Y/N, good to see you two," he greeted, leaning against a rail. "Now are you two sure about this? This is very advanced magic that is well beyond the ordinary wizarding level."

"We're sure," Harry answered, Y/N nodding in agreement. 

"Well, everything is prepared," Professor Lupin said, pointing over to a box. He began to walk down the short flight of stairs. "Now the spell I am going to try and teach you two is the Patronus Charm. Have you ever heard of it?"

Harry and Y/N shook their heads no. 

"Well, a patronus is a kind of force and the wizard can conjure one, it works like something of a shield from dementors feeding on it, not him. But in order for it to work, you need to think of a memory. Not an ordinary memory, but a happy memory, a powerful one. Can you do this?"

Harry and Y/N thought about it for a moment before shaking their heads yes. 

"Very well. Now, close your eyes," Lupin ordered. The duo closed their eyes and tried to concentrate. "Allow your memory to fill you up, lose yourself in it, then speak the incantation, 'expecto patronum.'"

"Expecto, patronum," Y/N muttered, then Harry followed suit. 

"Very good. Harry, you go first," Lupin said, laying his hands on the box in front of them. "Though casting two of them at the same time is very helpful, when you're alone, it all depends on you."

Y/N nodded and stepped away from Harry. 

"Wand at the ready," Professor Lupin reminded, making Harry pull his wand out of his pocket. He pointed it at the box. 

Lupin unlocked the box, gave Harry a reassuring look, and then pulled it open. Y/N stepped back as the dementor went up into the air, shifting its attention towards Harry. 

"Expecto patronum," Harry said, but nothing happened. He tried again, but the dementor only got closer. He grew dizzy and then dropped to the floor, passed out. 

Y/N went forward to help but the dementor flew in front of him, making him stop. He felt cold and fear take over him again, but he pulled out his wand anyways, pointing it at the dementor. 

"Expecto patronum!" he chanted. A small light came out from the tip of his wand, which stopped the dementor from moving towards him. However, the light got gradually larger as Y/N focused more. The dementor tried to attack him and push against it, but it was too much and it was pushed back into the box. Lupin quickly closed it and patted Y/N on the back. 

"That was remarkable, Y/N! First try as well!" he exclaimed. Y/N smiled, and then the two knelt next to Harry as he began to wake up.

"What happened?" Harry asked. 

"You fainted," Y/N answered. 

"It's alright, Harry. I didn't expect you to get it the first time," Lupin said. "Though Y/N was able to cast it."

"Really?" Harry asked. 

"There was a struggle at first, so he isn't perfect at it, but he did cast the charm long enough for the dementor to go away," the professor told him. "Eat this, you'll feel better." He handed him a piece of chocolate.