chapter 59: Girls (and Boys) on Film

Maybe sometimes
we got it wrong,
but it's alright.
The more things
seem to change,
the more they stay the same.

~Corinne Bailey Rae, Put Your Records On

The week after the wedding, Violet flew back to New York to help her dad workshop a few of the songs for the musical he was working on

The week after the wedding, Violet flew back to New York to help her dad workshop a few of the songs for the musical he was working on. Robert Suzuki had a studio rented out for Violet to record some preliminary tracks.

Over the microphone, Violet heard her dad say, "Okay, why don't we take a break, and then for the next take, I need a stronger southern accent, alright?"

Violet nodded as she exited the recording booth with her water bottle, and she fell onto the couch behind her father, "This song is really well composed."

He smiled, "I know. And I only really consulted on it. For a person who's mainly composed pop songs before, her composition for all of this work is amazing. I can really see this having an impact on Broadway."

Violet smiled and she took a swig of water when her dad asked, "So why didn't you tell me that Sidney Greene asked you to be in his show?"

She choked on her water before she cleared her throat, "How'd you hear about that?"

"Well, there were whisperings around the community, but I brushed off the rumors because they're just rumors, right? But then, Burt told me about it because Kurt was gossiping to him about it, and then I started to question the credibility of the rumor until the whisperings died down so I thought 'Hey this can't be true' until Sidney calls me up to try and convince you to be his Fanny."

She sucked in a breath, "I'm sorry dad."

"Hey, you don't have to tell me sorry. I was just confused as to why you didn't talk to me about this," he said comfortingly.

Violet sighed, "I was just trying to process what I really wanted, and I didn't want to muddle my thoughts with more voices which didn't help when Kurt pretty much told the whole world, and everyone had an opinion. But eventually, I figured it out."

"Well, I'm glad you did. But Sidney will be persistent. I hope you know that."

"Hopefully, when he holds open call auditions, someone will be good enough to impress him, and then I'll be off of his radar."

"It could really go either way," her dad mentioned. "I mean yeah, this industry has a lot of talented people, but there are also a lot of people who aren't talented that are just fooling themselves. And Sidney Greene is a man with a vision, and if he doesn't see what he wants, he might just keep knocking at our door."

Violet groaned and threw her head back, "I hope not. I mean I loved working with him, but I just want to finish my senior year, and go to college, ya know?"