chapter 17: Night of Neglect

Violet was impatiently tapping her fingers onto the side of the arm of the long couch. Her eyes kept glancing at the clock. One minute passed, then two, then three. Violet then got up from her position on the couch and looked at the New York family therapist and her father, "Well, it's been 15 minutes. Looks like she's not coming."

Violet's father kept looking down at his phone to see if his wife texted him something. Anything. "Look, I'm sure she just got caught up at the theater. She's probably on her way as we speak."

Violet picked up her bag, "Just let it go. She said she'd try, and she didn't. I'm used to her not keeping her promises. Maybe it's time to let go of the hope that our family will ever be like your typical one."

The therapist suggested, "You know, if you and your father would like to continue the counseling session yourselves, I think it could be beneficial."

Violet looked back at the therapist, "His only concern was to be there for my mother. No matter what, he'll take her side and support her more than he does me, so I don't see a point in this. Thank you for trying, but clearly, she doesn't care enough about her daughter, but I've known that this was the case since I could think for myself." Violet then stormed out of the therapy office. Even the best family therapist in New York City couldn't fix her family. She should've known that her mother telling her that she'd try was too good to be true. What made today any different from the rest of her life.

Violet and her dad flew to New York City over the weekend. Violet had to stay at a hotel because her mom downsized when she moved to Lima. Their family's apartment was now a one-bedroom, so her parents decided that the easiest thing to do for all of them is just to put her up in a hotel for the week. They had decided as a family –through communication solely through Violet's father– that family therapy was the first step in mending their family, so they scheduled it in New York with the best therapist money could buy, and scheduled an entire week of it to really get a lot of work done. Plus, it was more convenient than Violet flying out every weekend. That was the plan at least. Now, Violet is just stuck in New York City away from her friends in Lima.

Violet remembered that she needed to call Mike to congratulate him, so she quickly dialed his number and he picked up. "Hey Mike! I just wanted to call and say congrats to you and the other Brainiacs. I tried to watch it, but it wasn't playing in New York."

Mike was back at McKinley packing up his things after Glee Club. "Thanks Vi! I'm glad someone remembered." Sam then perked up at the sound of Violet's nickname.

"Is that Violet on the phone?" Mike nodded and Sam tried to steal Mike's phone

On the other line, Violet could hear the rustling as well as Sam and Mike's voice arguing about the phone. "Hello? Is anyone there?" It continued until Violet practically screamed into the phone, "Just put me on speaker!"

With a flat voice, Mike said, "Hey Violet, you're on speaker with me and Sam."

Sam, with a grin, greeted her, "Hey! How's New York? How was family therapy?"