Chapter 8

Savannah's POV:

I was in my morning English class, bored out of my mind, when I got called on.

"Ms. Thompson, you don't seem troubled by their deaths," my English teacher, Mr. Stessman said.

"What's to be troubled about?" I countered. We were currently on Romeo and Juliet and I couldn't stand it. 

"Do tell," Mr. Stessman inquired.

"Romeo and Juliet are just two teenagers who got everything they ever wanted and now they think they want each other," I say.

"They were in love... It was love at first sight," Mr. Stessman said, prompting more from me.

"They weren't in love. It wasn't love at first sight, it was 'oh my god, he's so cute' at first sight. If anything, it was infatuation at its best," I said directly.

"Then why has it survived so many years?" Mr. Stessman asked.

"I don't know. Maybe because Shakespeare was a good writer," I shrugged.

"Mr. Rockwell what do you think?" Mr. Stessman asks.

I look behind me to see Harry sit up and responds with, "um because people want to remember what it feels like to be young? Or in love?"

Mr. Stessman leaned back against the blackboard and rubbed his beard. 

"Is that right?" Harry asked.

"Oh, it's definitely right," Mr. Stessman said, "I don't know if that's why Romeo and Juliet became one of the most beloved plays of all time, but it's definitely right. Truer words have never been spoken."

As if on cue, the bell rings and Mr. Stessman says, "And that's time! Don't forget we're meeting up in the library tomorrow for your poems."

I head out of the class and head to my locker when I notice one of my classmates, Tom, waiting for me.

"Hey Savannah," said Tom.

"Oh hey Tom, what's up? Do you need the biology notes?" I said confused on why he was talking to me.

"Oh uh no, I don't need the biology notes. I was wondering if you'd like to go on a date with me this Friday," He asked.

I was honestly surprised. No boys ever wanted to date me, because of Harry especially. They were always scared off, but it didn't really bother me. Tom wasn't so bad so I agreed.

"Uh sure," I said.

"Okay cool," Tom said as he walked off.

Tom's POV: 

"Did you ask her on a date?" Harry asked me.

"Yeah..." I said, feeling ashamed of myself.

"Good. If you tell her, I'll have everyone hate you and have you become a social outcast," he snarled.

I never understood why Harry was so mean to Savannah. She was honestly a really nice person and everyone could tell he felt something for her but he was always so mean and rude to her that it made me think I was just imagining it. I remember back when we were in kindergarten and they were friends.

At lunch 

Savannah's POV:

"Hey guess what?" said Lily.

"What's happening?" I asked.

"There's a party this Friday, let's go together," she said to Ivy and I.

"Sure," I said, "But I might be a little late cuz I have a date."

"Woahhhhhh, back up, you have a date?!" said Ivy squealing excitedly.

"Uh yea, Tom asked me earlier today," I said.

"Oh my god, yasss!" says Lily.

"Oh you should totally ask him to go take you to the party after you finish your date!" Ivy suggested.

"Yea, that would be perfect. I'll ask him after school," I say.

After school

"Hey Tom, I was wondering if you wanted go to the party together after our date?" I asked.

He looked at me kinda strange. His face looked full of regret.

"I'm sorry Savannah. I can't do this anymore," he confesses.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"Harry told me to take you on a date, and then to bail on you, when we get there. He wanted to record you and show everyone what a loner you are," Tom said.

"Oh..." I said quietly.

"I'm so sorry Savannah. He told me if I didn't do it, he would make me into a social outcast," he said.

I didn't even know what to say. I just... I ran away. Like I always do with my problems. Why does he always have to ruin everything for me? What did I ever do to him? 

I ran to Lily's house. She called Ivy and they helped me cry it out. Why did I have to fall for him? Why was he so mean to me? What did I ever do to him?  Why did we stop being friends?

______________________________

❤️❤️