39

"j-jisung!" hyunjin suddenly yelled in shock, entirely taken aback.

what just happened? what was going on? what was the whole meaning to all of this? why did chan suddenly push jisung into a portal?

as if he'd just been ignored, seungmin heavily sighed. "you did well, chan. it was hard wasn't it?"

chan didn't say anything else, only dropping his arms to the side. there was a suffocating silence filling the atmosphere moments later, the demon not saying any word.

it wasn't until he turned around, only walking back to his desk with an indescribable expression. "it was for the best."

hyunjin widened his eyes in shock, unable to process chan's words. what did he mean by that? "w-what do you mean?" he confusingly asked.

this made seungmin finally turn to face him, resting his hands on the desk. "it was chan's decision as well as my support. we figured it would be best if jisung went back to his world, that way he won't be hurt anymore."

"b-but!" hyunjin tried to exclaim, "wouldn't it be fine if chan was here to protect him-"

"i'm scared," chan suddenly interrupted, drawing hyunjin's attention to him. "i don't wanna lose him anymore. i don't want this to happen again."

and this time, hyunjin could see some sort of emotion forming in chan's eyes. the feeling of fear and concern, he could clearly see it all. chan was frightened.

as much as chan didn't want this, he figured it would be best if he'd let jisung go. back to his own world, where he wouldn't have to worry about jisung getting hurt.

if that was the only way chan could guarantee his safety, he would do anything. no matter how much jisung meant to him, chan was prepared for this to happen.

no matter how much it pained him, chan would do anything.

"chan..." hyunjin softly mumbled with worried eyes, seeing through chan's vulnerable eyes.

it was the first, to be able to see chan look this way. to be able to see his vulnerability and emotions. and knowing it was jisung that made him feel this way, hyunjin couldn't help but weakly smile, finally understanding his intention.

seungmin watched as hyunjin's expression slightly change, he could tell what he could possibly be thinking or feeling. "you miss him don't you?" he eventually asked.

slowly looking up to meet his eyes, hyunjin nodded. "it felt as if he'd been here for so long. and now it feels so empty and weird without him." he lightly chuckled. "even though it hadn't been long since he was gone, i'm already missing him."

chan remained silent as he carefully listened in, only looking away. this made seungmin turn to face him with a questionable expression. "chan?"

still not saying a word, chan helplessly sat down and sighed. "jisung..." he gently mumbled.

as seungmin continued to stare at him, he also heavily sighed. "chan, i know how much you already terribly miss him. but what can we do? we can't place him in any more danger than he already is. you know doing this is the best idea."

"s-seungmin's right!" hyunjin suddenly said, turning to chan. "as much as i miss him, at least changbin won't be able to find him there! you chose the right decision!"

"seungmin," chan muttered, causing seungmin to hum in response. "why does it hurt so much?"

there was a short silence for a second, seungmin soon walking over to place his hand on his shoulder. "that's because you love him, and you miss him. just not being able to see him for even a minute will cause you pain."