➤ 𝐗𝐗𝐕

【𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄】

𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

THE BLUE SKY ABOVE HAD BECOME TAINTED with streaks of lime green. Each new flare doused Himari in a cold sweat, leaving her heart thudding and her stomach churning nervously. Her hands gripped the reins of her horse tightly as she kept her eyes on the horizon, doing her very best to focus on what was in front of her, rather than lose herself in the possibilities of what was going on around her.

So far, she hadn't spotted any titans. The support squads were doing their jobs and the formation hadn't broken yet, to her knowledge. Either way, it was impossible to determine who had been hurt, who was okay, and who was dead. She swallowed nervously.

"Smoke signals. Green," Captain Levi said, sounding as though he weren't even deterred by the sudden change in direction.

"Oluo, you fire it." 

Himari's eyes followed the flare as it shot up into the sky after being ejected from the barrel of Oluo's gun. 

"Reporting, sir!" Everyone looked over towards the right as a sudden soldier appeared. "It's an oral message, the right-wing spotters have been decimated! Detection network partially out! Please pass on this message to the left!" 

Himari's eyes met Eren's as they shared a look of worry. Of course, neither of them knew exactly where their friends were stationed, considering they hadn't had the chance to discuss their positions with how busy the last week had been. Himari wasn't where Jean or Armin or Mikasa or any of their other friends had been placed, but she sincerely hoped it hadn't been the right flank.

She let go of Kaede's reins momentarily to wipe her sweat-slick palms on her pants, anxiety trembling her fingers.

"You heard him, Petra. Go." Instantaneously, the ginger broke away from the formation, heading towards the squad on their left to relay the message.

Himari grabbed ahold of the reins once more, shaking her head slightly to get her focus back on track. She couldn't afford to think about what had happened the last time they'd encountered the titans - the friends and the family that they had all lost as a result. Hope. She just had to have hope.

Exhaling, she kept her eyes focused on the horizon, dandelion-gold searching the green plains surrounding her for any sign of oncoming danger. Just because she couldn't see it, doesn't mean it wasn't there. The thought caused her to grind her teeth subconsciously. 

Her hardened expression faltered at the trio of black smoke signals that cut through the clouds of green and white against the neverending blue. She pressed her lips tightly together.

"Black smoke signals? An Abnormal?" Eren asked.

"They shouldn't be this far in?" Himari whispered under her breath, but no one seemed to have heard her. Instead, Captain Levi slid his gaze over to Eren, who had a deathlike pallor to his normally tanned complexion.