➤ 𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐗

【𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄】

𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

WHEN DAYLIGHT FINALLY BROKE, Himari found herself watching the sunrise from on top of the walls. Soldiers from both the Scout and Garrison regiments lined the walls surrounding Orvud District. They'd spent all night running around and devising a plan, cleaning the cannons and loading them as quickly as possible.

She'd had no time to talk to Eren at all, the two of them busy with separate duties that left them unable to speak about what had happened back in the cavern underneath the Reiss chapel. While Himari had made sure to keep her head down and remain focused on her tasks, she hadn't been able to stop her thoughts from running around in her head in a neverending circle. She thought about Eren, willing to give up his life for humanity, to herself being mad at him because she didn't want to imagine a future where he wasn't in it.

She felt selfish. Embarrassed at how she'd screamed at Eren to stand up and keep fighting, not for humanity, but for herself.

Her subconscious frown and the way she was chewing on on her bottom lip did not go undetected. She looked up upon feeling a gentle hand on her shoulder and noticed that it was Mikasa, who was watching her quietly with concern glittering in her gunmetal eyes.

"If you're not in the right mindset, it would be better for you to sit this one out," Mikasa said softly yet firmly. Himari sighed as she stood up, brushing off her hands.

"I'll be fine. It's nothing I can't handle - we've been through worse." Mikasa immediately noted the way she'd brushed it off like it was nothing. The tension between Eren and Himari had been obvious since they'd rescued the pair from the cavern and while Himari was normally very good at hiding what she was feeling, Mikasa could see the toll that it was beginning to take on her. 

"If you find yourself in danger at all, I want you to come find me or get as far away from it as possible. You're... important. And this titan is dangerous - extremely so," Mikasa said sternly. The corner of Himari's lips couldn't help but quirk upwards at the girl's words. She knew that Mikasa worried for all of them - while she'd initially started off caring only about Armin and Eren, she'd come to consider them all family over time, just the way Himari had. She too had grown so much over these last few months.

"I will," Himari promised before the soldiers began yelling at everyone to take their positions as Rod Reiss' titan was nearing. She and Mikasa joined Commander Erwin, Levi and the rest of their squadmates on one of the edges of the walls just off to the right of the Garrison unit.

Eren, slightly hesitantly, stepped up beside Himari as she nodded at Commander Erwin and Captain Levi out of respect, taking her place next to Armin.

"You ready for this?" Himari asked quietly, surprising Eren. The brunet boy looked over at the golden-eyed beauty, swallowing thickly as he ran his eyes over her face before he replied.