A Little Watchin'

"I've got to tell you that there's one thing that I hate every year consistently...and it's gotta be waking up to seeing a full-on blizzard."

Claude just stared outside at the snowstorm raging outside with unrelenting energy. White snowflakes barraged from above, wind swirling the snow around. Already, the ground was covered in sheets of ice and snow. Byleth giggled from her place on the couch as she tried to ignore her pounding headache.

"It's not that bad, Claude."

"But it is never ending," Claude grumbled as he stared outside. "Snow this, snow that..."

"Snow just means we have extra time to cuddle and stay warm."

"I guess that's one way of thinking about it. Good points, Teach."

"I certainly try."

Claude made his way over to the couch before he sat next to her, pulling a blanket from the side before he threw it over them both and nuzzled his chin into her neck.

"You feeling okay?" He asked, fiddling with the blanket to pull it higher over her.

"Yeah," Byleth nodded, not expanding further on the topic. They both knew she was lying. Claude frowned, snuggling closer to her.

"Teach..."

"I am, I promise. Come, look, let's watch something!" Byleth tried to avert the topic as she switched the channel. A green haired boy held a redheaded female in his arms, a sword piercing through her.

"CELICAAAAAAAA!!" The television blared before Byleth winced at the sound and quickly switched the channel. Next up was an action movie, with a silvery dragon wiping the battlefield alongside a blonde man with a crown atop a horse, a samurai with long, spiky brown hair approaching them alone fiercely.

"Hey, wait, I've seen this before. The plot sucks," Claude commented offhandedly, making Byleth chuckle.

"Isn't this a famous movie? The plot can't be that bad."

"Oh, trust me, it was. Not a lick of it made sense. Also, the protagonist is so dumb..."

"Let me change it, then," Byleth said before she clicked a button on the remote. A heated conversation between a blue haired girl and a white haired woman, her mother, was ensuing, with the blue haired one going so far as to hold a sword to her. Inevitably, however, the blue haired one caved and refused to go through with killing her mother. Claude tilted his head to the side.

"I'm so confused. We need to find a movie that starts from the top."

Byleth nodded, flipping through a couple other channels before she finally landed on one that was playing from the very beginning.

"Do you remember the Red Canyon!?" A green haired woman screamed as she stabbed an old man. Claude couldn't help but chuckle.

"He looks crusty."

"Claude, he just died!"

"I mean, it's the truth!"

Byleth just shook her head and laughed. The plot continued to progress, with a full scale war interrupting the characters' student life.

"That guy reminds me of Dimitri," Claude commented on the long haired blonde boy, after he threw a piece of popcorn into his mouth. Byleth glanced over, surprised before she grabbed a handful of popcorn.

"When did you get this!?"

"When you were so invested watching! You were tearing up when Letbyh and Dalcue met each other again," Claude snickered. "Don't pretend you weren't."

"They're cute together, what can I say," Byleth wiped at her eyes, "them seeing each other is just so- wait, did Trimidi just die!?"

"Who? Oh, the Dimitri dude? Huh. I guess so. That's unceremonious."

"I can't believe they killed him-ah, and now they're killing Emperor Garddele! What could possibly come next?"

"You're so invested!" Claude chuckled, "I'm calling it right now. The old crusty man comes back to life."

"Why would he come back to life?"

"Why not? Epic battle against him and Ahre. You can't seriously tell me she's not the same lady from the beginning of the movie..."

"Honestly, I forgot about that..."

Sure enough, Claude's predictions came to fruition, making him nudge her victoriously. She rolled her eyes, a smile on her face as the characters said their goodbyes.

"Congratulations."

"Thanks! The movies over, though? Ends like that?" Claude just shrugged, "we didn't get an ending to your two favorites, though."

"Huh, I guess so...oh, no, wait! End credits scene," Byleth pointed, and the two watched as the pair of characters were reunited and embraced. "Aww. So sweet! I could cry!"

"It wasn't that serious," Claude chuckled, but Byleth could have sworn she saw him blink back a tear. "Just a show."

"True, but there was a happy ending! Well,
aside for the people who died...but there was a mostly happy ending."

"True," he had a faraway look in his eyes, "a happy ending..."

Byleth placed her hand on his cheek, gently tilting his head until he was looking at her. She leaned in for a kiss.

"Yes, a happy ending..."