A New Confidant

"Claude, you know what...Maybe this isn't such a good idea."

Byleth and Claude were on a train to their destination, and Byleth was beginning to get cold feet. She had been confident that it would be alright since she was with Claude, but now...now she wasn't too sure. Claude just shook his head.

"You're going to be fine," Claude reassured her, a tense look still on his usual carefree face. "There's nothing to be scared of, I promise."

"But...But..."

"Ah, look! We're here."

The train had indeed stopped, and people were beginning to step off. Claude grasped her hand,
pulling her with him before she could even think to protest. He led her down a couple of blocks where they finally found their location.

Byleth's eyes widened with excitement as she scanned the area in front of her. It was a sandy beach, with flowing waters and surfers riding on the waves. Children were playing in the sand, making castles and partially burying each other while laughing. A couple of teenagers were playing a volleyball game while adults sat on the beach with alcohol in their hands. A red haired boy with round sunglasses that seemed kinda familiar was surrounded by girls who all seemed to be fawning after him except for one blonde, who was munching on a piece of chicken. Still more people were just swimming in the water...

It was such a sight to see.

"Wow," Byleth took a deep breath, her eyes wide. "It's nice here."

"Have you never been to a beach?" Claude asked, to which Byleth shook her head from side to side. Claude nodded. "I guess I made a good decision, then."

"Of course you did."

"Alright, well, let's get in the water!" Claude exclaimed, his smile seeming a little bit more restrained than usual. Byleth suddenly frowned.

"Uh...I don't have a swimsuit," Byleth pursed her lips awkwardly. She hadn't really thought about that since she didn't have one in the first place. "So, uh..."

"Oh, I'm sure we could buy one-"

"Wait, why don't you head into the water?" Byleth interrupted, much to his surprise. When he motioned for her to explain, she continued. "I'm not letting you pay again. Besides, you can set up our bags and stuff. I'll be quick, alright?"

"Okay, fine," Claude nodded. "But be quick! It's hot out."

Byleth nodded, speed walking to the nearest store. As the little ringer went off as she walked by, the green haired cashier didn't even look at her. In fact, the cashier appeared to be...sleeping?

Oh, well. Byleth just continued on in the store, browsing for a bathing suit. As she absentmindedly continued to look, she turned the corner only to run straight into a much taller woman.

She bounced backward, slightly in pain from the impact as she rubbed her sore head. The woman's eyes widened, and Byleth frowned.

"I'm so sorry. I wasn't paying attention," Byleth apologized. The woman had minty green hair and eyes. She had on a white bathing suit with a long coverup cape and a obscuring veil. The woman just shook her head, a gentle smile on her face.

"It is not a problem," The woman replied serenely. "Don't worry about it."

"Still, I..." Byleth removed her hand from her head, accidentally pulling out a hair as she did. She frowned; she had taken out a green strand. These were growing in fast... "Sorry."

"Is your hair...green?" The woman's eyes widened, instinctively touching her own long green hair. "...Could you be..."

"Green? It's complicated, but...kinda," Byleth just said simply, not really in the mood to explain her whole life story to this strange woman. For some reason, though, Byleth felt like she could trust her. It was so weird...and yet, Byleth just felt some strange connection to this lady.

"I wouldn't be opposed to listening," The woman offered kindly after adjusting her flower crown. It had gone slightly askew after Byleth had bumped into the woman. "I'm La-er-Rhea. Just Rhea."

"Rhea...I'm Byleth," She introduced herself. Who was this woman...? Suddenly, Byleth came to a realization. Rhea had green hair, too. It was in this strange, minty green shade as well. Maybe Rhea was a survivor of this madness! Maybe Rhea could help! "Alright, but let's find somewhere a little more private...not that I really think this cashier is listening."

"Of course."

Byleth didn't know if this was the right decision, but...she needed to try. She didn't get the feeling that Rhea was the type to spill her secrets to the public, so she did it.

She told Rhea everything.