Unhappy Reunion

Claude had started working almost every other day at the bar.

Byleth was glad to have him here more often; it just meant that she had more opportunities to smile, more times to hear his laughter and see his charming grin. Byleth certainly wasn't complaining!

Right now, he was in the back room, helping Jeralt with something. Shamir was helping Byleth manage the bar, but right now, Byleth had no one to attend to.

Well, until the little bell rang once more...

In walked a girl with long white locks, lavender eyes, and a business suit on. She was accompanied by a boy with blonde hair and sapphire irises, who looked rather uncomfortable to be there. Byleth raised her brow; these certainly weren't the type of people she would have expected to be here. What was going on?

"How can I help you guys?" Byleth asked as they approached the counter.

"Is a boy named Claude von Riegan working on shift right now?" The girl asked, a pleasant and amicable smile on her face. Even so, Byleth could tell that her elegant demeanor was hiding something much more condescending.

"What's it to you?" Byleth asked warily. She wasn't just about to go sell out Claude, even if they were his friends. She didn't like the feeling she was getting from this girl...

"I think he might want to hear what we have to say..regarding his company."

That was all Byleth needed to hear. She shook her head from side to side, folding her arms.

"Sorry, but I don't know a Claude," Byleth responded curtly. The girl frowned, her brow deepening in frustration.

"This information is crucial," The girl scolded, but Byleth wasn't phased whatsoever. Byleth was battling a terminal heart condition; no person was going to scare her now. "You are tampering with something very important to the future of the companies!"

"Edelgard, I'm sure we'll find another way to get ahold of him," The guy reminded her. The girl, seemed Edelgard apparently, just shook her head.

"And when would that be? He never answers our calls. This is the one place where we can actually find him!"

"Well, I'm sorry, but he's not here-"

"Hey, Teach!" Claude poked his head out from behind the back room door just as Byleth said that. Byleth facepalmed at the unfortunate timing. As Claude noticed who Byleth was conversing with, he frowned. "Ah, damn..."

"Claude. So you are here!" The boy exclaimed, a bright look on his face. "How has everything been? You really inspired us when you disappeared, I always knew you wanted to reform the companies-"

"Hold up. You can't just walk in here demanding my presence, and two, I didn't disappear because of that. I left because I have no interest in becoming the new CEO!"

"What? I thought that-"

"His intentions were as clear as day," Edelgard rolled her lavender eyes. "You will fail as a leader if you cannot see past something as simple as that."

"You'll fail too, if you keep treating everyone so arrogantly," He countered, an annoyed look on his face. "But anyway. Claude von Riegan, I know we've met plenty of times...but as I said, your actions inspired us. Both of our companies have both been...corrupt and hated each other for quite some time. We all know this."

"Wait a moment," Byleth interrupted, much to the boy's slight confusion at her intrusion at a situation that didn't really concern her. "Claude, I thought you said that Gronder Field made the companies peaceful."

"Well, that only lasted for so long. That was when my father was still young," Claude told her, a frown prominent on his usually happy features. It didn't suit him. "Now, the feud is back..."

"And we need you to help us reform the companies along with us!" The boy said energetically. "Regardless of your reasons for first leaving, you must now realize the actions you could take to change our corrupt companies! You know Cornelia has taken over Faerghus, and that outsiders have been manipulating Adrestia. The Leicester Alliance can only stay neutral for so long, so take a stand and help us both out before things take a turn for the worst-"

"Dimitri, I can't. I have no interest of being a leader," Claude shook his head. Byleth really felt bad for him... "I have my own aspirations I want to see done, and the one I want most...means I can't do what you and my father want."

"Exactly. I know you do not wish to lead..." Edelgard said confidently as she placed her hands on her hips. "Which is exactly why you should become leader, and then hand over your company to mine. Your company will be in good hands, and you can get away free."

"That's not what we discussed," Dimitri frowned, irritated with Edelgard's proposition. "We want to work in harmony, but we don't need to unify...Claude, we need you. All three companies need to work together...we are the future. You can help us change everything!"

"I..." Claude pressed his lips together. He had aspirations he wanted that would be accessible to him if he was indeed a leader. But at the same time, how could he balance being a CEO and his dream? "I can't just go back to my father."

"He would welcome you back with open arms," Dimitri said plainly, stating the blunt truth. "You know he loves you, even if you've ran away a million times."

"It's not about that."

There was a moment of awkward silence, and Byleth suddenly realized that it was too, too quiet. She looked around to see that everyone currently in the bar was watching the confrontation go down. Byleth cleared her throat.

"I think that's enough," Byleth interrupted, her glare directed toward the two intruders. "You guys should leave."

"You can't tamper with the investigation-"

"That is alright, Dimitri," Edelgard shook her head. "We'll continue this in a more private place, some other time. Just think about it, Claude. If you do not wish to claim your company, I am willing to take over for you. Oh, and you..." Edelgard turned to Byleth. "...Try and convince him. I can tell there is something special about you that will change his mind."

"I think you need to leave," Byleth said evenly, gesturing toward the door. Edelgard just shook her head, and the two of them made their way out of the bar. Byleth took a deep breath, turning to Claude, who lacked his usual grin.

"Sorry about that, Teach."

"Don't be sorry...I'm here to talk if you want."

"Thank you, Teach," Claude nodded, but he didn't say more. Byleth just went back to working, but she was worried for him.

Was it strange that she wanted to find out more about him? Well, whatever. He'd done so much for her, and Byleth wanted to return the favor.

She'd be there when he was ready to talk.