Slip of the Tongue

"Claude, that's not true. I'm sure someone else can take over."

"Like who?" Claude asked, distraught. People had previously been in line to congratulate him, but they had long since disappeared because of Edelgard. The girl was quite intimidating to everyone, apparently. "Edelgard is stuck in her own position, Dimitri can't do anything...and my father is ill. That means Lorenz will step up, and we'll all be worse for wear..."

"Claude-"

"I can't just let this opportunity go," Claude shook his head back and forth rapidly, his guitar case shaking each time he did so since it was still slung around his shoulder. "I can change the way the company works, get rid of corruption-"

"Yeah..but at what cost?" Byleth responded quietly, making him stop in his tracks. "Don't you think you matter, too?"

"Of course I do...but how can I deny all of these people their freedom just for my own gain? That's selfish!"

"It's okay to be selfish sometimes."

"Not about this," Claude sighed. "Leicester may look unified, but everyone's just trying to work for their own gains. They're unhappy with my father or looking for their own benefit. I can't just leave them there..."

"Claude...but singing is your dream," Byleth frowned before turning to look at everyone. People were staring at Claude as he debated not singing in front of his entire audience. "Come on. Let's take this outside..."

The two slid out of the venue for a more private atmosphere. This way, no fans were watching. Air was just the two of them.

"Much better," Byleth nodded before turning back to him. "Anyway...You said you were going to follow your dreams, for yourself...and for me, too, I thought."

"It am, but..." Claude hesitated here, and Byleth realized that Edelgard was, in fact, right about something. Claude did want the company. He would have dropped the subject otherwise. It wasn't as if it was a bad thing about him considering he wanted to help people, but Byleth was beginning to feel dismayed...and even more selfish. So what about those people? What about her? Didn't he know he was helping her just by being here? "Teach, I can't let those people suffer."

"And I can't let you suffer," Byleth whispered softly. "You're making my last moments worth everything. You're the reason my life is so much better. Don't you think other people rely on hearing your voice? Don't you think that this lightens people's days?"

"Yes, but..." Claude suddenly cut off his train of thought, a puzzled look on his face. Byleth was confused as to why he was surprised until he uttered the next couple words. Byleth's blood ran cold upon hearing them... "What do you mean 'your last moments', Teach?"

"What?" Byleth cursed herself inwardly as he stared her down. She hadn't even realized she had slipped and said that. It was true, but he didn't need to know about that. Since she was going to find a cure, there was no use in him stressing about something that wouldn't even matter in the long run. "Er...I just meant...my last moments...while I'm on a diet. Everything is seeming really hard now that I'm on it, and you're helping me through it."

"...Teach," She could tell Claude didn't buy it, and she looked into his verdant eyes that were rimmed with concern. "You know you can tell me, right? I've told you all my secrets..."

"I know," Byleth nodded, but her simple answer wasn't exactly satisfactory for him. He wanted answers...answers that Byleth wasn't ready to share anytime soon.

"Teach...I'm going to be honest, this isn't the first time I've noticed something's off," Claude frowned. Byleth's hesrt practically stopped there before beating erratically quick. Her hand was feeling cloudy as he confronted her. "Your constant checkups, how quickly Jeralt comes to your aid when you get hurt even the slightest bit...something is off, but I don't know what."

"Claude, please," Byleth begged for him to stop, but he shook his head. She was feeling dizzier and dizzier as he spoke.

"You can trust me, right?"

Byleth nodded. Of course she did...but if she told him, there would only be more heartache for the two of them. He didn't need to know, for some reason, she wanted to protect him from knowing the awful truth...

"Then tell me," Claude whispered pleadingly. "I'm just trying to help."

Byleth pursed her lips together, unsure of what she should do. Her heart was beating fast from the frightening moment. Before she even knew what was happening, her eyes rolled to the back of her head and gravity took over her body as she began to tumble forward, unconscious. Claude let out a horrified cry as he caught her in his arms, a panicked look on his face. Claude sucked in a deep breath, terrified at the sudden change in events.

"Teach!!"