Do You Trust Me?

hey, i'm here

Byleth set her phone down, hurrying to the front door. She had expected him to just ring the doorbell, but he had texted her instead. It was fine, it had just taken her by surprise. Jeralt put the newspaper up, covering his face...but Byleth was almost certain she saw a little smirk on his face.

Byleth opened the door to see Claude standing there, an awkward smile on his face. He looked tired...his eyes had bags under them, and his hair was somehow more disheveled than usual. It wasn't like Byleth could really talk, either...she probably looked as exhausted as he did, if not more.

"Hey, Teach," He waved, and Byleth opened the door wider so he could step into the house. Byleth suddenly felt self-conscious about their house as he scanned around the area. It wasn't as if their house was lacking, but...having someone look around was so new. Sothis had only been around a couple of times, and she had been quick to remark on their plain decor. Did Claude mind?

"Hi Claude," Byleth shut the door behind them, feeling her heart going in her chest. Was she really getting so worked up about this? It wasn't even a big deal! "Uh, we can head up to my room."

"Sounds great," Claude nodded before his eyes fell upon Jeralt, who was still conspicuously reading the newspaper. "Oh, hey Jeralt."

"Heya," Jeralt replied gruffly as the two left. Jeralt put down the newspaper, a smirk on his face as he chuckled. "Ah, Kid..."

"So, this is my room," Byleth closed the door behind them as she awkwardly stood there. Thank goodness she wasn't a messy person...she couldn't imagine having someone around if it was all disorderly. "Tada."

Her room was painted grey, with a white accent wall. Her bed was plain and simple, with a black comforter and a white pillow. Her drawers were black and a simple mirror was above it. Her white closet doors were shut and she had a bookshelf, but that was about it. Byleth had never realized how dreadfully...simple and boring her room was. Why am I like this-?

"...I like your room," Claude said cheerfully. Byleth was surprised, before she remembered just who he was. She was still glad to hear him say it, though. "It's very...you."

"Thanks."

Byleth pulled up a chair for him to sit in, and she sat on her bed comfortably as he leaned back into the chair. Claude leaned forward, fiddling with his fingers before speaking.

"You know...I may have grown up as a CEO's son, as the future face of Leicester..." Claude looked down for a slight second before continuing. "...But I didn't have many friends, either. Sure, I had Edelgard and Dimitri...but I don't think they count. We were all forced to be friends by my father to try and mend the bonds of the companies. It was when I went to the Officer's Academy that I really started finding people...but even then, I couldn't let my walls down. What I'm trying to say here...is that you're the first person I've...really trusted with everything. With anything. My singing, the company, my father..."

"...Is your father..." Byleth hesitated. This had to be a touchy topic...but she needed to know. "Is he..."

"Abusive?" Claude finished the sentence for her, and she nodded. "No. No, he's not. Is he obsessed with only his company and ensuring that he can eventually rise beyond the others? Yes. Is he willing to prime up his only son to be perfect whilst otherwise ignoring his child's existence? Yes. He wasn't abusive, no he wasn't. He cares about me...but only as his future heir."

"I'm so sorry..." Byleth bit her lip. Her heart was throbbing at the thought of him suffering. "That must have been rough...At the very least, I'm here now. Not just me, but Jeralt, too, and all of your other friends..."

"I know," Claude smiled at this, but the expression faded. His tone grew softer, gentle...Byleth knew what was coming, and she couldn't stop it. "I know you're here for me...but I want to be there for you, too. I know there's something you're hiding from me. Whatever it is...you're not comfortable with it. But it's okay, Teach...I'm here for you. You don't have to hide from me...I won't judge you, I promise. You don't have to be scared..."

"It's not that simple," Byleth responded quietly. "It's just...not. If I tell you, then...then..." My worst fear will come true. "...You wouldn't be here for me. Claude, you're better off not knowing. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss."

"Yeah...but this is not one of those times," Claude said bluntly. "How do you know I won't be there for you? How can you say that without even giving me a chance? Are you giving to give into your own fear, just like that?"

"It's not like that! I'm not giving into fear. I'm just trying to protect you," Byleth knew it was a lie, a lie she had fabricated inside of her mind at the moment to try and justify herself and her own selfish reasoning... "I'm trying to protect you from the truth, okay? So just don't ask anymore, I promise you'll thank me later..."

"Teach, if you're in your 'final moments', don't you think I deserve to know?" Claude raised his voice, anger present in his voice. It was a rare occasion to see him riled up, and it stunned Byleth into silence. "I know we've only known each other for so long, but I trust you. More than anyone...ever. And I..." He hesitated, looking like he wanted to say something else, but he changed his mind. "I need to know. If you're hurting...then I need to be there for you."

"Claude-"

"I'm not going to leave, Teach! I promise."

"It's not that easy!" But was it? Was her dad right? Byleth could feel her heart pounding in her chest from fear. She wouldn't tell him, she wouldn't! Her mind was set. "I'm sorry. I can't!"

"Don't you trust me!?"

Upon hearing Claude's usually smooth voice crack at the end of his frustrated sentence, Byleth just blanked in her mind. Hearing the pain in his voice had made her logic go out the window. She just stood there like a gaping fish.

"Tell me, Teach," Claude begged, his emerald eyes filled with some...some sort of emotion. Byleth didn't know just what, but...it hurt. It hurt her throbbing heart. "Please." The desperation in his voice broke her. She could feel her mouth moving, but she didn't know for what. The words came tumbling out of her mouth before Byleth could even think about what she was saying. What are you doing!? She couldn't stop herself. The rush of the scenario seemed to catch up with her as she tearfully and mindlessly confessed the truth...

"I'm dying, dammit!"