Last Chance, Claude

"Claude, my hair...it's green. It's all green..."

After three days, Byleth was feeling decent. Not great, but better. So imagine just how surprised she was when she took an actual glance in the mirror at her long, green hair and teal eyes. She...looked nothing like herself. Her hand ran over her hair in disbelief, her heart pounding heavily in her chest.

"...It's nothing. It has to be nothing!" Claude was pacing back and forth as he gripped at his neatly combed back hair, messing it up in the process. "I just don't get it. You've united the companies, so that's...that's all it has to be. The green hair isn't associated with sickness or else Rhea would be gone, too."

"Claude...A full year has almost passed, and we have nothing! Nothing! I'm...I'm going to die soon!"

"Don't say that, Teach...We're going to find something. We have to find something...!"

"How!? I've read every textbook, every line! I've asked Manuela, and I can't go to any other doctor. What am I supposed to do...?" Byleth clenched at her tresses in disbelief and anger. "Do I give in? Let them experiment on me when they probably won't find any cure!?"

"Ultimately, it's up to you...but we still have time to try and find answers! We have...to come up with something.."

Byleth couldn't stop herself from collapsing as her knees gave out underneath her. She fell to the ground, and Claude rushed over to help her.

"Teach..."

"I don't want to die. Not anymore..."

Claude had a determined look on his face, but he said nothing. He had an idea...but he wasn't quite so sure that he would find anything there.

"What...What are you thinking about?" Byleth snuggled into his warm embrace. Claude sighed and shook his head.

"Teach...Do you have a passport?"

"I...I don't think so...why?"

"I...I think I might know where to find a cure. But you don't have a passport, you can't come with..." Claude hesitated. "I don't want to be without you, but if it shows even the slightest hint of saving you..."

"...Go."

"Will you be okay?"

Byleth just sighed. She felt as if she might throw up. The nausea hadn't disappeared, and just the thought of separating from him was enough to make her throat dry up. Just as usual, her heart was aching in her chest.

"I have to be."

Claude squeezed her tighter in his arms, hoping to reassure her even the slightest bit. He gently leaned over to kiss her, and Byleth's heart fluttered like it was the first time they'd ever embraced. She was going to miss him so much. He didn't think he could live without her. Yet, the two needed to part ways just for a moment. They hadn't been apart for longer than two days. However long Claude would be gone was going to feel like a lifetime.

"I love you," Claude mumbled between kisses, and Byleth reciprocated.

"I love you too."

After what seemed like a second but had actually been ten minutes, the two were forced to disengage as Claude's phone rang in blaring cacophony. Byleth reluctantly pulled away so he could pick up the phone.

"Where are you two?" Hilda's shrill voice demanded. Claude sighed.

"I'm on my way. Need to make another phone call..."

"Oh," Hilda's voice softened. "Well, take your time. Trying to write a so without our singer is difficult enough!"

Hilda hung up, and Byleth's mouth hung wide open.

"How is the company and the music label going to function without you?"

"I'll bring my laptop. I can do online meetings, or whatever. But I need to make this trip...Almyra might have a cure."

"I...I know."

Wordlessly, the two stood from the bathroom, getting ready for the day. Claude arranged his private jet to leave for tonight. Claude took her hand in his as they headed out toward the recording studio together, the snow falling hard around them.

"I'm going to miss you so much."

"Me too."

For the rest of the day, Byleth stuck to him like glue. She could feel her body becoming heavy, fatigue coming over her. So, she wasn't feeling better... She didn't want him to leave but she knew she had no choice. Who knew what this sickness had in store for her? She had no choice but to let him go. They had no choice.

Byleth watched his plane take off with solemn sadness after the two shared a kiss. Her heart ached. She hoped he'd come back with a cure...

He needed to come back with a cure, or she was doomed.