Destiny

"I see...This is quite a predicament."

Rhea's features were contorted into a deeply upset position. She had a frown on her face and her eyes were closed in thought.

"So...do you know anything about it?" Byleth asked hopefully. What kind of coincidence could this be? Her heart was still, perhaps indicating that Rhea was the answer. Or, at least, Byleth hoped so.

Much to her dismay...Rhea shook her head from side to side.

"I'm afraid not. I have never heard of such a disease," Rhea's frown grew deeper, and Byleth felt her hope plummet to the floor. Rhea opened her eyes. "However...Your hair."

"What about it?"

"At the Church of Seiros, those with hair like ours are destined to unite," Rhea said, but her explanation was still very vague. Byleth furrowed her brow.

"Unite what?"

"Unite the three houses that are filled with grief and strife, and create peace for mankind," Rhea replied elegantly before placing her hair back under the veil, effectively hiding it. "Before you ask...I do not quite understand it myself. It is the proclamation of the Church."

"Unite the...No. I'm not meant for anything. I might just be some sort of weird exception," Byleth shook her head. She had never been religious, her father hadn't been either. A thought occurred to her. "If that was true, anyway, wouldn't you have done something by now? Wouldn't the companies be alright?"

"If only," Rhea sighed heavily, a frown on her gentle features. "Truth be told, I have done something," She lowered her voice so that only Byleth could hear. They were alone outside the store, but it didn't hurt to be cautious. "I am the current Archbishop of the Church of Seiros. I had to retire from my position as the Headmistress as the Officer's Academy for this. I got them all to calm down and embrace each other. That was how Gronder Field was created...I had my influences at the Officer's Academy shape the current leaders of the companies, but it seems that they are not the problem. It is the corruption from within the companies, and I am powerless to stop it once more."

"Archb-" Byleth repeated in shock, only for Rhea to quickly cover Byleth's mouth to stop her from saying it aloud. As Rhea put her hand away, Byleth nodded. "Sorry. But..Why are you powerless? Can't you just do it again?"

"The leaders, yes," Rhea sighed once more. "But not the corruption. Cornelia and those who slither in the dark all rule. I cannot influence those people to the correct side. More importantly, I have no way to stop them. They do not have love in their hearts for me. Cornelia is a madwoman who has Faerghus under her iron grip despite my pleading, those who slither in the dark continue mistreatment of others in Adrestia, and the misguided houses of Gloucester and many others follow wrong customs. If I try any more, I will be accused of overstepping my boundaries."

"But...I don't understand what I have to do with this," Byleth frowned. She knew a decent amount about the companies because of Claude, but she never would have expected she was supposed to unite them or whatever. That was ridiculous.

"Neither do I, my dear child," Rhea had a faraway look in her eyes. "I don't understand any of it."

"...I-I should really go," Byleth turned away. She had left Claude waiting long enough. She needed to go back to the store and actually buy a swimsuit like she had meant to! "Thank you for telling me all
this."

"If you ever need anything...come to the Church. I don't mean for religious purposes," Rhea said sternly. "Perhaps we could find something out about your heart or hair..."

"I will consider it. Thank you."

Byleth disappeared back into the store, and Rhea watched her go wistfully.

"My dear child...I hope you find your way..."