I Love You

"So...what now?"

Claude glanced over to Byleth, who was nervously fidgeting. Claude shrugged.

"What do you mean?" Claude asked, and Byleth just fidgeted more, a blush blooming and spreading over her fair features. Claude couldn't help a smirk from sneaking onto his face.

"Well...Um...you know," Byleth's face grew redder as she shyly shrugged. It was so endearing to see the usually calm Byleth turn so flustered. "We...We kissed. And...Now you know that I love you. Does that sound creepy? How do people normally say this?"

"Well, normal people just say the truth," Claude shrugged. "And the truth is...that I love you too. I was going to tell you tonight...That was the surprise."

"It was!?" Byleth's mouth hung open, and Claude nodded. He walked over to his living, motioning for her to come over. They sat on the couch, Magnolia jumping up and settling herself into Claude's lap. Claude chuckled, petting her with his right hand.

"I didn't expect this at all," Claude admitted as he placed his free hand onto Byleth's. "At first, I think...Well, rather, I didn't think. You were just the mentor I had that was a little too sad for my
liking. Helping you made me forget my own problems."

He paused.

"I don't know when I started...actually liking you in that way," Claude scratched the back of his neck awkwardly before resuming to pet his dog. "I guess
it was sometime before you told me about...your condition. I think that's why I was so fixated on research, I wanted to make sure I didn't lose you. I don't think I knew it at the time, but I just knew...I couldn't lose you."

"You're not going to lose me," Byleth said quietly. She could still tell he was nervous about the subject. She squeezed his hand reassuringly. Claude could only hope she was right. He knew it was a risk to reciprocate that kiss since he didn't want to get burned later, he'd been hurt before from something like this, but...it was a risk he had to take. Once she had kissed him, it was over. He couldn't resist his feelings, he couldn't resist her anymore. She had to make it through, she had to...

"I know," Claude told her, brushing that thought out of his mind. He just had to remind himself that he wouldn't stop until she was successfully saved. Now that they were actually together, he'd have to work doubly as hard... "I know. You're going to make it through this, no matter what. I won't let any other outcome occur."

"Right," Was all she agreed with. Claude could still tell she was uneasy about the subject, and since he didn't really want to discuss the unknown situation, he dropped it.

"Anyway, after that happened..I found it hard to concentrate on anything besides your illness," Claude admitted sheepishly. "Then when you told me not to...All I could do was focus on you. I thought it was just because I was worried. Don't get me wrong, I was. But it wasn't just...that. You were the only person to encourage to me follow my
dreams. The only person I could trust to even tell
those dreams. You make me feel like my own person, like I'm not just...a von Riegan."

"Trust me, you're much more than a von Riegan," Byleth replied softly, reaching her hand up to caress his cheek. "You're the only person who's ever made me feel, the only person who's ever made me happy. You're Claude, and I wouldn't change that for the world."

"...I love you, Teach," Claude smiled, taking his hand off of Magnolia in order to place it on Byleth's. His gaze slowly dropped to Byleth's lips... "...And I can't get enough of you."

"Me neither," She breathed, and that was it. They closed the distance between their lips, embracing in a warm kiss. Claude couldn't get enough of her as his hand got tangled in her multicolored hair, pulling her closer to him...

This kiss was much more passionate than the last one now that both of them were on board and not
caught off guard. It wasn't one of Claude's first kisses, not even close, but it was certainly the best.

That was a fact.

Finally, the two parted for air, Byleth's cheeks still as red as ever. She fidgeted from side to side before mumbling something.

"What?" Claude asked, confused. She shrugged before speaking a little louder.

"I'm tired," She admitted, her cheeks turning even pinker. Claude chuckled, placing Magnolia onto the ground before standing.

"Then come on."

"Wha-You don't want me to sleep on the couch?" Byleth questioned, confused. Claude just shook his head.

"If it's alright...I'd like you with me while I sleep."

Byleth was...shocked, to say the least.

"You don't have to, but-"

"I want to," Byleth said simply. "...Come on. Let's go."

Claude nodded, and he led her to his room. Honestly, it was all so crazy. This seemed like a dream, but he wasn't waking up. This was real...

As they laid down, Claude protectively placed his arms around her. Only then could he fall asleep.

It hadn't been how he had wanted it done...but the scare had made them both confess. It had also made him realize something else...

He couldn't let anyone hurt her.

That was his silent, second promise...

And he wasn't going to break it.