Epilogue

Five years later

"Claude von Riegan? The musician-he performs here-?"

"He's performed here since forever, do you live under a rock!? Oh, shh, he's on now...!"

Claude took to the stage, his one unkempt hair combed back neatly. He had grown out a bit of a beard and sideburns, but his emerald eyes still kept him recognizable. However, that once bright and shining shade of emerald had dulled, never to return. Five years had passed, but that spark of happiness was still missing. Nothing could replace her, after all.

"I'm...petrified, that you're dying, by design..."

Even though he had just begun, everyone had already gone wild before they quieted to listen in barely contained anticipation. Here they were to watch one of the world's singers, one who had won multiple awards and worked as a CEO, just casually performing at a venue...! Claude didn't even host real shows most of the time since he certainly didn't have the time to go on tour. No, the venue had certainly made tons of money off of just Claude's performances, and to that, they were forever grateful. Claude had more than enough money to go around, yet he'd trade it all away gladly just for another chance...

"Thanks for coming out, everyone. This next song...it's dedicated to someone...someone I lost," Claude could barely make his way through the sentence as his throat began to constrict and weigh him down. He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself. "To my love."

From the back of the room, he could hear a few lovestruck "awes" as they no doubt wished he were talking about them. Claude briefly snickered; just what would she have done if she were still here and heard that? Would she have been jealous? Or would she have just brushed it off?

His melodious voice began to fill the room, sinking the atmosphere in warm, soft waves. The harsh spotlight focusing on Claude almost seemed to melt and dim, as if his voice could warp reality.

He wished it could.

"But even though you're gone, I won't stop missing you," he sang, a pain racking through his chest. He swallowed the lump in his throat and focused on strumming his guitar. "But even though you're gone, I won't stop loving you! And though it hurts all day, and it won't go away, I'm not giving up today!!" Claude sighed, his eyes shutting, "I'm not giving up today."

The end chorus began to fade as he strummed his guitar, his hums closing out the song. His fingers played against the strings of his guitar one final time, delicately fluttering once more.

Silence...

Then the eternal applause.

Roses hit the stage softly, the spotlight regaining it's intensity as all eyes remained on Claude. Even with all the noise, everything still felt silent to him. Without her, there was nothing, even five years later.

But he wasn't going to give up...that wasn't what she would have wanted.

Claude stood, "Thank you everyone! Thank you," he took a quick bow, and left the stage. He could hear people shouting for an encore, but tonight he had a special date in mind. His stuff was thrown quickly into his bag, guitar case slung over his shoulder as he quickly made his way toward the back entrance.

"Hey, wait up, Claude," the deep, tired voice coming from Jeralt Eisner himself resounded, stopping Claude in his tracks. It had been a couple years since they'd last seen each other. Claude supposed that they both reminded each other too much of her to be bearable. "...She would have loved it, you know."

"...I know," Claude fiddled with his ring, one he never took off. Jeralt's eyes traveled to Claude's fingers.

"I never knew that she gave it to you."

"Huh?" Claude quirked a brow upward, and Jeralt gestured to the ring. "Oh. Yes...she did."

"...You did great tonight," Jeralt said quietly. Now that Claude got a good look at him, he could see that Jeralt hadn't aged one day. The only difference was the bags under his eyes. Jeralt sighed, "it was good seeing you, Claude."

"Likewise. I...hope you've been doing well."

"Same to you," the corner of Jeralt's lips lifted in a small smile, "oh...and happy birthday, Claude. I found this...and I think she would have wanted you to have it."

Jeralt thrust a small box into Claude's hands before he walked away. Intrigued, but needing to make his way to his destination, Claude held on tight as he walked.

His feet stopped in front of Byleth's grave once more. Magnolias still bloomed over her tombstone. Claude could feel his breath constrict in his throat harshly.

"It's my birthday, Teach!" He tried to keep his voice light and lifted, just how she would have wanted. "I wanted to celebrate with you...just as I always do. I know you didn't forget."

The breeze was gentle and soft in the midst of the night. The smile faded from his face slightly.

"I miss you. I miss you so much...but I'm always going to keep going. For you."

His voice seemed to echo in the moonlight tonight. He felt the soft pull of the breeze, directing him toward the box Jeralt had given him. Claude shrugged and slowly opened it.

Byleth stared back at him, a smile on her face.

Just a portrait, no more, no less. The same one he had painted and given to her those years ago, actually...here she was, almost real...tears welled up in Claude's eyes as he stared back at the eternal image of his beloved.

"Teach...I love you. I love you so much."

I love you too

Claude's head jerked up, confused as he glanced around. No one was there. After a moment, he composed himself and stood.

"I have to get home...another long day tomorrow," Claude joked, "...bye, Teach. I'll see you soon."

As he turned away, leaving the cemetery, he felt fingers loop through his.

No one was there.

"...Teach...?"

A small giggle,

"I love you, Claude..."

The smile grew on Claude's face.

"I love you, too."