Stargazing

A/N: sorry if you saw my notes, i accidentally left them at the top of the chapter :/

The wind was relentless today.

Claude led her through the streets, ignoring how the colorful leaves blew across the street. A maple leaf, brown with age, was crushed underneath Byleth's foot as they continued to walk.

"Where are we going?" Byleth asked, and Claude frowned.

"Well...It's a surprise, but the weather doesn't seem to want us to go there," Just as Claude said that, a gust of wind forced past them, almost pushing them backward. Byleth's hair smacked herself right in the face. "Maybe we should save this for another day."

"Well, I don't mind going still-!" Byleth tried to pull her patchy colored hair away from her face to no avail. The wind just kept pushing it back at her. "The wind has got to die down soon, right?"

"If you're okay with still going, then we can keep walking. I just don't want you to be cold."

"I'll be fine, but thanks for worrying. I just want to see what you have planned!"

"Alright, if you're sure Teach. Come on!"

Byleth could hear Alois and Catherine groan in slight annoyance that the pair were continuing to go on, even in the fearsome wind. Byleth just laughed. They were tough, they'd live. A little wind of all things wouldn't hurt them.

"Are you cold?" Claude asked, and Byleth shook her head from side to side. Even though the wind was harsh against her skin, the temperature outside wasn't too bad. Not enough to make Byleth shiver or anything; it was honestly just right without the wind. "Let me know if that changes, Teach."

"I will."

The two pressed on, and when it was clear they weren't going to give into the formidable wind, it finally ended. The night grew calm and steady, leaving the two with a beautiful autumn night. Finally, after a little more walking, they came to a field awhile away from the city. It was devoid of trees and overall civilization, but tall dying grass stood at attention. Claude walked a little further before plopping down.

"C'mon, Teach!" He invited, and Byleth sat next to him. He sighed contently. "Finally, we made it."

"Yeah, I'm glad...but uh..." Byleth glanced around at the remote area. Even though it was a lone field, Byleth couldn't quite call it desolate. The place seemed to resonate with a higher presence, even though no one was actually there. "Where exactly are we?"

"It's Aileil," Claude said simply. "Aileil, the Valley of Peace. Rather nice, yeah? I used to come here all the time when I needed...solace from my old life. It was a good place to relax."

"Yeah? This place must have a lot of meaning to you then," Byleth mused. "Thank you for showing it to me."

"Of course. It's a place where the city lights aren't seen, and I can just focus on..." He paused, and then leaned back before pointing straight up. "Those."

Byleth lie next to him, curious to see just what a Claude was motioning to. The night sky was a dark shade of blue, streaked a couple hints of black. But what Claude was really motioning to was the sparkling white dots in the sky.

"The stars?" Byleth asked, resting her head on her hands.

"Yes. Aren't they nice?"

"Yes...I've just never really looked at them before."

"Well, Teach, I'm glad that you'll appreciate them with me first."

The two stared straight up at the sky, with Claude pointing out constellations to her. It surprised Byleth just how much he knew about the stars; he was able to locate not just the basics like the North Star or the Big Dipper, but the arrangement of Cancer and Lynx. The night was peaceful, a far cry from the windy day earlier. Now there was only a slight breeze every once and awhile that brushed Byleth's hair against her face.

"You know...That star's name is called Ilo."

"It is?" Byleth asked, and Claude laughed.

"No, I just made it up," He chuckled, and Byleth just rolled her eyes playfully. He grinned. "It's short for I love you."

"Wha-You're so cheeky," Byleth grumbled, playfully nudging him. Her cheeks flushed red all the same. "Well, fine. I'm naming a star too...this one is called...uh...Claudeleth. Yeah. For us...I'm not very good at this."

"I thought it was cute," Claude shrugged. "Which star is that one?"

"Uh...You know..."

Byleth was just about to pick a random star in the sky when Claude's phone rang. He apologized before looking at the screen.

He instantly winced upon seeing who the caller was.

"What do you want?" Claude asked tensely as he picked up the call. Whatever the caller said made Claude's face go pale. As Claude dropped the phone, Byleth furrowed her brow in confusion.

"What's wrong?"

His hands were shaking.

"My father...He really...He really is dying. He's in the hospital..."