Exhaustion

"Claude, there really isn't...much more to tell you."

Byleth watched as the boy scribbled down more notes, clicking on the laptop next to him. Claude looked pretty ragged; after Byleth had told him the truth, he hadn't stopped trying to find answers. It was almost six in the morning now, and Byleth really appreciated his help, but...how in the world was he functioning? It was six in the morning! Claude had always been the more tired of the two. Byleth remembered how he couldn't even handle the first day at the bar! Now, here he was; staying up late just for her.

Byleth was flattered...

But she was also concerned.

It was obvious that he was tired. There were heavy bags under his eyes, his smile looked a lot more run down, and he kept yawning every five seconds. It didn't take a genius to know that Claude wasn't doing well...

But he wouldn't slow down.

"I'm sure there's something," Claude shook his head as he looked up from his notes. He really did look worse for wear. She had tried to get him to leave and go to bed, but he refused. "Something that could give me a hint about your illness!"

"I don't think we're going to find anything if we're both exhausted," Byleth said as sternly as she could, fighting off her own exhaustion. "Why don't...you go home?"

"I can't stop when your life...is on the line here, Teach," Claude responded just as determinedly, but he yawned mid sentence. Byleth raised a brow, and Claude shook his head. "My health doesnt mean anything. I won't die from lack of sleep. You will die from lack of knowledge about your illness!"

Byleth was silent at this. She didn't know what to say to that at all. She knew that her possible death had been on both of their minds, but it hurt to hear it aloud again. Upon seeing her dejected reaction, Claude sighed, turning the chair completely to face her.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to rub it in," Claude apologized, a sad and sleepy look in his verdant eyes. "I just...I don't think I can sleep, anyway. My mind is too busy thinking about how I could help you. If I can't sleep, then I might as well pour my time into something useful..."

"I guess that's fair," Byleth replied quietly, her heart pounding in her chest. Ever since she had realized her true feelings toward Claude, every little thing he said made her heart beat faster. Her heart wished she could tell him. Her brain (and her common sense) told her she could not. "Still, I don't want to see you like this, Claude. I don't think my heart likes it either," Byleth tried to make a joke, but he didn't smile. "I know I can't make you sleep, but can you at least try? You're worrying me."

"Well, I don't want to do that," Claude sighed. "But...Teach, I think the consequences of not finding information are way worse than worrying you."

"...I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise, am I?" Byleth sighed, and Claude shook his head from side to side. Byleth leaned back onto her bed as she yawned. "Well...Alright then. Carry on."

"See, I knew you'd understand," Claude flashed her quick, tired smile before turning back to his notes. Byleth sighed again.

"Yeah, I understand how crazy you are."

"...Crazy about you," Claude remarked, still turned to his studies. Byleth knew he had a small smirk on his face, though. Even though it was late night, Byleth couldn't help herself from blushing. She knew it was just another of his flirtatious remarks, the ones he threw at every girl in sight (like that one girl at the bar yesterday), but it still made her heart go aflutter.

"Yeah, yeah..."

Byleth turned to her phone, scrolling through her newly acquired Snapchat. Once Claude had showed her Snapchat, he has piqued her curiosity, and one night, he'd told her to just get it.

So she had.

She didn't have any other people added besides Claude and Sothis (Byleth hadn't known Sothis was into social media, but apparently she was). Some random people tried to add her, finding her from Claude or Sothis, but she hadn't added them back because...why would she? She simply didn't care about other people that weren't in her inner circle.

Simple as that.

But now, a new notification popped up. Who in their right mind was up this late, and why?

Hilda Goneril 💞 added you on Snapchat!

Hilda, of all people? Wasn't it late? Although, it was almost six in the morning, so maybe that was considered early. Huh. She never would have thought Hilda would be an early riser. Then again. Byleth really knew nothing about Hilda.

Well, aside from the fact that her and Claude were close. Byleth felt...slighted. She didn't know how to explain it, but she definitely was irritated. Still, Claude was close to Hilda, and it wouldn't hurt Byleth to add Hilda on Snapchat, so she clicked the 'add' button.

Hilda had a really cute avatar next to her name. Byleth wasn't surprised at all by that. She put her phone down, seeing as she felt she had had enough of Snapchat. As she glanced up toward Claude, she found him slouched over her desk, passed out. Byleth couldn't help but let out a chuckle; she knew it was a bad thing to laugh at since he was exhausted trying to help her, but he looked so...cute like this. It was endearing to Byleth to see him so vulnerable. There was no guardedness in his posture or eyes, he was just fast asleep with some light drool running down his chin.

Who knew this flirtatious boy could look so innocent?

Byleth laughed one more time before walking over to him. She didn't want to wake him up; she knew she should, but he looked so peaceful right now. She didn't want to disturb him. Plus, this way, he was finally getting rest....

What in the world am I supposed to do?

Well, she wasn't going to make him sleep in that chair. She eyed her bed before realizing what the only option really was. Byleth gently and cautiously picked him out of the chair with little effort. He didn't even stir; he must have been really knocked out. Byleth carried him in her arms before placing him onto her bed. She tucked him under the covers before placing her hands on her hips, satisfied.

Thank goodness she was strong. Jeralt and Alois had made her that way since she was the star pupil back in the old training days...

She wasn't sure just what she would have done if she were weak, but she was glad this worked. She grabbed a couple of blankets from her closet before settling down on the floor. It would have to do. Before she went to bed, she checked up on him one more time.

He was still tranquil and calm. She knew she should be freaking out like he was, but her illness was older news for herself. Hopefully she could calm him down about studying so hard, but she doubted it. At least she could find solace in the fact that he was sleeping now...

Byleth closed her eyes. It had been a long day, hadn't it? Byleth had been so scared Claude wouldn't accept her, that he'd leave...and then he'd stayed when she'd confessed. He'd acted so differently than she had expected. Then he had not only stayed, but interrogated and studied to try and find a cure! Hell, today she had even found out that was in love with him! What a strange and crazy day...

Well, she couldn't complain. As she drifted off to bed, all she could do was smile...

No, he wasn't leaving her...and he'd be by her side.

That was all she really wanted.