Those Three Words

"She's the tear in my heart, take me higher...than I've ever been..."

The people in the bar clapped vigorously as Claude finished strumming his guitar, a smile on his face. Byleth was the loudest supporter, of course, with Jeralt coming in a close second.

"You know, he's really good," Leonie noted, a wide smile on her face as she handed a drink to a customer. "This was a really good idea, Byleth. It's been driving some people to the bar, too. He's really popular, you know. I can't believe a label hasn't signed him yet."

"Actually, some have tried," Byleth said proudly, glad that people were picking up on Claude's inmate and extraordinary talent. She fought the urge to resist the hood over her head. Her hair had been turning more and more green, there were patches of the mint in her usual teal hair. "But he said he's not ready for that. He doesn't want to be mainstream until he can come up with something himself...he said he wanted to do his own songwriting or something, I suppose."

"That's admirable," Jeralt nodded as he took a sip of his beer. "Amazing singer, player, and he wants to write his own music...How talented. You're lucky, Kid."

"Wha-? Yes, he is talented," Byleth ignored the last part of Jeralt's sentence as her father smirked. They turned their attention back to Claude as the applause ended.

"This will be my last song tonight," Claude announced, making the audience frown or groan slightly. Claude looked slightly nervous. He looked around the room before focusing in on Byleth. She smiled at him, and Claude took a deep breath before nodding. "This is actually...an original song. It's one I wrote myself. So I hope you'll all enjoy. It's called Those Three Words."

Claude strummed at his guitar, playing a couple of delicate notes before his symphonic voice softly began to sing.

Walls, had them all around me

Guard, always up cautiously

Why? Did it take so long to see

You, didn't want me to be

Unhappy (mmm)

Unhappy (mmm)

And I, didn't realize my guard was down

And I, didn't realize it was when you were 'round

And I, didn't realize all this until right now...

I place my trust in you

No matter what we do

Because I

Didn't realize it until now!

Claude closed his eyes, a smile on his face.

But I, I, I .... I love you

Claude began to strum his guitar again, with people beginning to clap to his song. When his voice sounded again, people were actively swaying back and forth. Byleth couldn't help but join them. His song was so sweet...about love. He was talking about letting his guard down. Of course, Byleth knew he was talking about the one he loved or whatever, probably his new fling or something, but...Byleth could pretend, alright?

Sick, of all the pressure on you

Done, with nothing in your life to do

Hah. Byleth could relate to that.

I, realized I wanted you

You, to be....

Happy (mm)

Happy (mm)

And I, realized I hate to see you frown

And I, realized that you deserve a crown

And I, didn't realize all this until just right now...

I place my trust in you

No matter what we do

Because I

Didn't realize it until now!

But I, I, I .... I love you

The tone grew softer, the music a little quieter as the bridge of the song hit.

I, I.... I love you

I, I...I love you

"Come on, sing along!" Claude interrupted his song for a brief moment before continuing. The crowd hesitated for a moment, before joining him in the bridge of the song. Byleth smiled before joining.

I, I...I love you

I, I...I love you!

Cuz I

I place all of my trust in you (I will)

No matter what we do (I will, I will!)

Because I~!

Didn't realize it until now!

But I, I, I ....

Claude's gaze scanned over the bar, as if searching for someone while everyone waited in anticipation. When his gaze hit Byleth, he smiled before turning back to his guitar. Byleth flashed him an encouraging smile back as he sung out the last few words of his song.

I love you...

Yes I do.

The bar patrons applauded, and Claude bowed with a wide smile on his face before heading to the back room. Byleth smiled and followed him back as the bar began to settle once more.

"Claude, that was amazing," Byleth praised. "I didn't know you were going to perform an original song today."

"Well, I wanted to keep it a secret," Claude chuckled. He looked a little bit nervous. "I had some real life inspiration for the song, so...I thought it was perfect."

"Ah, I see..." No wonder he wanted to keep it a secret, he didn't want Byleth knowing about his love life.

"Well, Teach...Do you want to go dance tonight?"

"Sure," Byleth knew Jeralt wouldn't have a problem with it. Claude grinned, a hint of excitement in his emerald eyes. He had something planned tonight, and Byleth couldn't wait to see.

"Alright, let's go."