Friend

Two delightful weeks passed, and the flowers continued to bloom around them.

It was practically shorts weather now; sure, the rain sprayed at sporadic times, but the sun was shining consistently every day. She hadn't gotten caught in the rain again, so Byleth couldn't complain.

Of course...the sun didn't stop Byleth from wearing her usual, heavy, black jacket. Claude wouldn't stop questioning her about why she chose to wear such attire in warm weather. Every time, Byleth just simply responded that it was comfortable, and convenient. Rain or shine, it worked.

Today, though, the sky was clear. Beautiful blue was all that could be seen, and Byleth was glad that it wasn't raining today. She was sick of pulling out her umbrella for the past week! Finally, she could enjoy some nice, warm, burning sun...even though she was sure she'd grow sick of the heat quickly. Byleth had never been entirely fond of the hot weather.

Unfortunately, her one and only friend was. She had insisted on going out for ice cream, and while Byleth normally just went along with what she wanted for her friend's sake, Byleth now was interested to see what she'd been missing out on. Maybe all she'd been missing was the right mindset!

Besides, she'd needed a break, anyway. She had been spending a lot of time researching various other heart diseases and their cures. She had gone to Manuela yesterday, but the nurse was just as lost as she was. After all, Byleth's case was one of a kind, and they didn't know if help could even be found...

Well, that thought process was something Byleth needed to be separated from.

Byleth stopped in front of the ice cream shop to wave at her friend. Her friend rolled her green irises, folding her arms as the two walked into the shop.

"Ah, there you are. I was beginning to think you wouldn't show!"

"Sothis, come on now," Byleth shook her head in slight amusement. Her green haired friend was always so quick to be critical, despite her own tendency to run late. "I'm always on time. Look. Right on the dot."

"Yes, I suppose..." Sothis sighed, and then she scanned over Byleth curiously. She frowned, and then tilted her head to the side in confusion. "...You seem different! What happened? Did you get a haircut or something?"

"Uh, no?" Byleth responded in bewilderment, and Sothis began to pat her down quickly in a frantic search. "Sothis, what in the world-"

"Hush. I'm trying to find...Ah, wow! Your heart is beating!" Sothis exclaimed, her green eyes wide in surprise. "So, how are you feeling? Normal?"

"Er...Kinda," Byleth said slowly. Sothis immediately narrowed her eyes, knowing that she was lying immediately.

"And what's wrong with you now? Honestly..."

Well, Byleth knew that Sothis would work it out of her eventually. Besides, Sothis had been her closest friend for years; Byleth didn't mind if Sothis knew. The two ordered their ice cream, sitting down at a booth before Byleth unraveled the truth.

"The doctors told me that my beating heart is killing me," Byleth admitted sadly. "I only have a year left...at most."

"Oh...oh my," Sothis almost fell out of her seat from utter shock, her ice cream nearly topping out of her hand. "W...Wait, you're sure?"

"Well, I've been feeling some heart pain recently," Byleth admitted reluctantly, taking a bite of her vanilla ice cream. "...So yes. I think the doctors are actually right this time."

"But that's...that's impossible! Oh, geez, I am feeling dizzy all of a sudden..." Sothis held her forehead with her free hand. "Why is this happening? Why are you...No..."

"I don't know. I finally met someone who really makes me happy, too," Byleth confessed, and Sothis raised her brow in suspicion.

"Oh? Go on," Sothis was basically demanding an answer now, and Byleth saw no reason to keep the truth from her one and only friend.

"His name is-"

"His!?" Sothis interrupted loudly, making others look at them in slight annoyance at their ruckus. Byleth rolled her eyes.

"Yes, his. Now shush, let me tell my story."

"Sorry."

"Anyway. His name is Claude, and he works at the bar," Byleth explained. "I don't know why, but there's just something about him that really...I don't know. He makes me feel something. I think it's because he makes me try new things, and I actually find them fun."

"As your best friend, I'm going to pretend I don't take offense to any of that," Sothis sighed, but she then tapped her chin in serious thought. "Claude, huh...? That's kind of a strange name. Well, whatever. Do you find the activity fun, or is it because of him?"

"Well, it's all stuff I would never consider doing," Byleth shrugged. She thought back to the amusing memories of her and Claude...just the thought made her smile. "Like running without cover in the pouring rain. Or dancing, or listening to music. Although, we did go get tea, so I suppose that was fairly normal..."

"So maybe a mixture of both," Sothis mused. She sighed, looking somewhat insecure. "So, what am I doing wrong? I can't even make you happy, and I've been trying my whole life. Yet this boy comes around, and all of a sudden..."

"Sothis, you didn't do anything wrong. Actually, I should thank you," Byleth responded reassuringly. "Without you, I never would have made it this far. I've had fun with you...but it's different. His makes my heart race, yours is much tamer. But even today is different than previous times..."

"Oh. You're right, you're talking much more than usual," Sothis nodded, taking a bite of her waffle cone. "I'm...happy you do feel comfortable around me after all. I-I was growing tired of talking to myself, anyway!"

"Of course I'm comfortable around you, Sothis," Byleth promised, setting her half finished ice cream cup down. "You're still my best friend, even if we don't meet up too often."

"Well, thats going to need to change. If you're like this all the time, I'd rather us be inseparable!"