Secret

Claude and Byleth were going to go out dancing again.

Byleth couldn't wait. She'd been impatiently tapping her foot against the ground, just waiting for the clock to strike one. Claude was off work today, and he was going to pick her up early so that the two could head to the music venue again. Jeralt was fine with this, of course. He just smiled and told her to have fun; he had it covered with Leonie.

Byleth was glad he was so accepting. Then again, practically any parent would want to see their child happy, so she assumed it was just natural. She tapped her finger against the counter, impatient. She was so excited to dance! She never thought she'd ever say that in her entire life, but Claude had opened her eyes to so many options she never would have thought to enjoy.

There was just something about that boy that changed her mindset about everything. She had hated dancing and music; now she loved both. She had always considered rain a nuisance; he had made it into a fun experience. How had he managed to completely change her thought process, and make her heart beat faster?

She didn't know...but she couldn't wait for more.

It was like an addiction. He was her addiction, and Byleth wasn't ashamed to admit it. His easygoing attitude was just so fun to be around, and his smile could light up a thousand rooms...But that wasn't just it. It was his entrancing emerald eyes that made Byleth want for more. She didn't know why...but they did.

"Kid, you look like you're going to burst," Jeralt noted, tearing her out of her thoughts. Byleth just shrugged.

"Yeah. I'm just excited, that's all..." Byleth suddenly stopped. A new train of thought entered her mind; if Claude was her addiction, then was it impossible for her to have fun doing those activities without him? "...Hey, Dad? I'm going to head out
early. Is that alright?"

"Course," Jeralt nodded, and Byleth smiled in appreciation. Jeralt just chuckled as he poured a bottle of wine into a cup, serving it to a regular redheaded customer who was surrounded by girls. "Have fun!"

"Will do," Byleth walked out of the bar, heading left. She knew the way by heart now; they'd gone so many times that Byleth was losing count. Byleth pulled out her phone to text Claude about her decision.

I'll be heading to the venue early today. Meet you there. Our usual spot.

She realized she didn't have an umbrella in hand, but it probably wouldn't matter. It was warming up, the rain ceasing to exist every day. Summer was just around the corner.

That was more of a nuisance than anything, considering that Byleth liked to dress in all black...but Byleth was curious as to what sorts of activities Claude had in mind for the hot season.

Claude. She had started thinking about him involuntarily again. Her lips lifted into a smile; would he be surprised that she was there early? She hastily checked her phone again. To her surprise, he hadn't replied. Maybe he was driving already? Well, he'd figure it out eventually. Byleth tucked her phone away, continuing her walk. It seemed so much longer without the banter between her and Claude...

Eventually, she made it to the venue. She pushed open the door, hearing soft guitar and a voice singing inside. She must have come in between performances, whoops. Byleth hadn't looked at the lineup before, she just followed Claude's plans...Byleth slowly snuck inside, focusing on finding her and Claude's usual table.

Well, she was here. The music was soft, though...not right for dancing, yet. She must have missed it; she could tell by the fresh scuffs on the floor. Still, Byleth found herself enjoying it. The singer's voice was sonorous and pleasing to the ear. Byleth closed her eyes, enjoying the soothing melodies.

Goodness, this person...whoever they were, they had an amazing voice. Byleth had never heard anything like it. They hit the high notes so well, and their voice was so full of emotion. Byleth noticed that no one was speaking, everyone was just in awe of the wonderful noise.

The song ended, and everyone began to applaud and scream for an encore. Byleth joined in, opening her eyes to see who had been singing such a beautiful song. It was a boy with dark skin and chocolatey hair, a golden jacket over his shoulders and a guitar in his lap, his beautiful emerald eyes gazing into the crowd as they brimmed with excitement-

Wait a second.

That...Byleth blinked, again and again, but her eyes weren't deceiving her. No one else had those striking eyes, no one else made her feel that way...

That was Claude up there, on the stage.

Performing.

His verdant eyes continued to sweep the crowd as he beamed with absolute joy. It was the most genuine Byleth had ever seen him...She followed his gaze, and she suddenly realized he was beginning to look over here. It was too late for her to move, she just pressed her lips together, realizing all too late what had happened.

Their gazes met...and his emerald eyes suddenly grew laced with fear, his lips parting in surprise. Then he spoke in barely a whisper into the microphone...

"T-Teach...?"