Thirty Three Part Two

Their carriage arriving at the Duke's residence, Brutus held Daniel in the crook of his arm, as he stepped down from the coach to the walkway.

Turning back to hand Margaret down, he then walked with her to the entry door.

"Would it be acceptable to you, Margaret, if I came by tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting, and took you and Daniel out for a bit?" Brutus hoped he was not pushing his luck, "We could walk in the park, or browse some shops, I could use a couple of new books, as I have read those I have aboard ship repeatedly."

Knowing he had to accompany Michaels to order lumber and supplies upon the morrow, he had the rest of the day free to pursue his own interests.

"I shall look forward to that, Brutus, it is nice to get out for a while." Margaret placed her hand upon his arm, "Thank you for thinking of me today, I had a lovely time, as did Daniel." She smiled down at her babe in Brutus' arm.

Daniel was waving his tiny arms about, making gurgling noises, as he tried to reach out towards Brutus' face.

Brutus chuckled at the curious infant, "It was my pleasure," He replied sincerely. "Let me help you inside before I go." His eyes crinkling into a smile, as she was juggling the blankets and the swaddling bag, trying to open the door.

Brutus reached around the small maid and opened it for her.

Smiling shyly, thanking him once again, Margaret let Brutus follow her inside.

Setting down her things on a side table, she turned and held out her arms for her son.

Brutus placed the babe there, his hand lingering on the blanket the babe was wrapped in.

Leaning forward slowly, Brutus kissed Margaret's cheek softly, "I shall see you both tomorrow." His eyes smiled into hers, he patted the babe softly before departing, leaving Margaret to stand there, wondering at the feeling his chaste kiss left her with.

Raising her hand to her cheek, Margaret's fingertips touched where his lips had.

She felt a sense of wonder that his touch had not repulsed her, causing her to flinch and recoil, as other men's nearness always had.

She was set a little off balance, but she knew in her heart, that if she cared for Brutus, she would let him go.

Daniel gained her attention, waving his fist and making small cooing noises.

Margaret hugged Daniel to her, resolving once more, to protect Brutus from her tainted, ugly past.

Daniel was the only man she needed in her life. She would figure out what to do with him as he grew, she would find a way to care for him the very best she possibly could.

She kissed his soft, downy cheek and took him up to her room. Lying him in his small bed, she gazed down upon him a few moments before she meant to gather their things from the foyer.

He was such a sweet, happy babe. He was the one good thing she had taken away from that island. Daniel was all she had, and he would be enough.

Tapping his nose softly with her fingertip, the babe smiled, filling her heart with bittersweet love, and a mother's pride in her beautiful son.

***************************************************************

Pete stepped down from the coach after they arrived at Rebecca's. Helping her to alight, he then swung Jonah down to the walk, as Tim jumped down on his own.

"Are you staying awhile?" Rebecca asked Pete hopefully.

He closed the door of the carriage snugly, then rapped upon the side, sending the rest of the group on their way. "I was hoping you would ask." Pete grinned devilishly, settling a hand on her lower back, he turned her towards the doorway.