Thirty Eight Part Four

Betsy and Arianna each approached their husbands. Resting her head upon Violet's firm chest, her face turned to the side, Betsy caught Arianna's gaze. They smiled at one another, both of them remembering that dark, stormy eve they left England. Both of them very glad that they had.

Betsy looked up into her husband's mischievous face. "All is well?"

Violet gave her a crooked smile, "Other than a bit of blackmail, all is well, kitten."

Betsy stood back a little to see him more fully, "She has a habit of doing that."

Arianna backed away from Drake a step and put her hands upon her hips, "I do not."

"Yes, you do." Will sauntered into the stables, joining them at precisely the correct moment. "Usually 'tis your brother, however, that you victimize." Will pointed out.

Arianna became bemused, " 'Tis not as if you do not provide me with plenty of ammunition, you know." Arianna smacked Will lightly upon the arm.

"Why is everyone always hitting me?" Will whined, rubbing his arm in mock injury.

Violet snorted with pleasure.

Arianna shot Violet a glare, remembering that he had laid her brother out flat for one reason or another. Arianna then turned, smirking at Will, before turning her saucy smirk upon Violet. Aye, she could easily imagine Will offending the pirate with his own, highly obnoxious self. If anyone should know, Arianna should, 'twas a fact that Will had been annoying her for years.

"Forgiven?" Violet asked Arianna, as if he could read her mind.

Arianna nodded while giggling, Betsy looking between the two of them, quite confused.

"Do not even attempt to figure them out, my dear." Drake informed Betsy knowledgeably, "New friends are always doing such things." Drake was relieved that his wife and cousin seemed to have made their peace with one another.

Violet addressed Arianna, "What about him?" Violet nodded his head at Drake.

Arianna raised a brow, "I would not assume he would know your act, pirate."

"Of course not." Violet agreed. "Yet... I have heard that he is quite good." Violet assured her.

"As good as you are?" Arianna queried, knowing this would get her husband primed, if he should be willing.

Betsy knew what it was they spoke of.

Now it was Drake's turn to look between the two of them, confusion upon his face.

"Do not even try, my lord," Betsy giggled at Drake, "new friends and such."

Drake gave Betsy a look that told her how he felt about her flippantly throwing his words back in his face.

"Saucy wench." Drake muttered.

Betsy grinned widely.

"Now, what is it I am supposed to be good at?" Drake arched a brow at his wife, seeming to dismiss the flippant maid.

Secretly, Drake was very happy for Betsy, and for his wife. Now that Drake, himself, had married the maid to his cousin, neither of the girls would be separated from one another for long. Incredible as it was, they were family now, their children would grow up together as second cousins, no doubt to band together, creating havoc at family occasions, just as Drake could imagine himself and Violet doing, had they grown up together.

Violet laughed his answer, yet he addressed it to Arianna, "He is very good, my lady, I have heard the tales." Violet then turned to Drake, "It seems you are cheating your wife, cousin. Withholding from her one of life's finer pleasures."