Twenty Four Part Three

The commander did not care if she be the King's own sister, he wanted whoever she was, incarcerated. Now.

Betsy climbed down from the nest, Davey stayed one rung above her, matching her pace the entire way down.

Eli watched what looked to be two young boys climbing down the mast. Eli's brow furrowed angrily as he realised one of these small whelps had fired upon him and could have taken his life.

When Betsy found her footing upon the deck planks, she was swallowed up.

Eli could not find her.

The entire pirate crew had moved smoothly and stealthily to back him up, while at the same time, covering and hiding her.

Eli realized there must be ten people between he and his prize.

"Move, move, out of my way, I say." Eli tried to get through the men to get to the girl, but these men kept shifting position and he could not get any closer to her at all.

Eli finally gave up. He walked away from them a few steps, turned on his heel and then addressed the group as a whole. "Anyone who does not get out of my way will be chained along with her!" Eli was purple in the face, he had never had so much trouble arresting anyone before.

Betsy could not see anything except Pete and Sam's broad backs. When she did get a glimpse between them, she then saw Bart and Michaels' backs.

"What are you doing? I am not afraid of that little old man." She tried to push past them, she wanted to get to Violet, but the men would not budge.

Eleanor was allowed to weave her way to Elizabeth, whereupon she took Betsy's arm and patted it. "I am sure all will be fine, my dear. Eli Fleming may be a blunderbuss, but he is not a bad man." Eleanor assured her.

"I do not fear him, my Lady, my only fear is for Violet." Betsy wanted to touch Violet, and she wanted to touch him now.

"I see, but dear," Ellie narrowed her eyes, "We shall have to be crafty to get you out of this."

Betsy had survived a pirate attack at sea, a shipwreck during a storm, an attempt upon their lives by the Barbary pirates, a little old man was not enough to frighten her.

"A seasoned military man should know better than to point a pistol at someone unless he plans on using it." Betsy said this, miffed at the old man for forcing her hand.

Her papa had served in the King's navy long before Betsy was born, and she could remember having heard him say something like that to someone before.

There was no way anyone was going to shoot Violet. Ever. Not as long as she had anything to say about it. The old man had not needed to threaten Violet thusly, putting Violet's life in danger, therefore he was in the wrong.

Eli did not see it that way.

"Let me see what I can do." Eleanor released Betsy and squeezed between Pete and Sam, then Bart and Michaels, finally popping out between Violet and Brutus. Ellie straightened her coat, patted her hair, and sashayed over to Eli to try to smooth his ruffled feathers.

"Eli, my dear." Eleanor put her arm through his, she patted his chest with her other hand, as she turned and led him towards the stern of the ship.

"Now Lady Kent, do not be my dearing, me, I shall not be deterred, you know." Eli slanted a fierce glance down at the Lady. "She fired upon my person and must be made to realise she has committed a crime. If these men do not desist in protecting her, I will have no choice but to arrest the lot of them." He growled angrily.