Thirty Three Part Three

Jude sat in an overstuffed chair he had pulled up next to the chaise, where Gwendolyn lay motionless, her breathing becoming shallower by the hour.

Gwen had not awoken for the last eighteen hours, the nurse had informed Jude that she would not last the day.

Her body was shutting down and giving out, and Jude was resolved to watch it happen.

It was his penance, the least he could do. It was his final gesture to this woman he had grown to loathe, then forgive, as his own guilt overtook him.

Who was he to cast stones, when he was just as guilty of sin, and most of his had been directed against her?

Jude had coveted what she had. He had committed adultery with her, and he had lied to her.

Jude had already been reevaluating his life when he had decided to wed, cutting off things with Gwendolyn, but now, he reevaluated once again.

No more lies, and no more using people for his own gain.

He dropped his head into his hand, as he thought, that would mean no pursuing a rich heiress simply for her funds.

Mayhap, he could find a rich widow to actually care for, one he would not need to lie to. Of course, if a young, rich heiress did come his way, he could always leave his options open.

Gwen dragged in another breath, rasping it back out, as Jude wondered just how much longer she would hang on to life.

**************************************************************

The immaculately liveried servant led Violet to the correct doorway, "The door down the hallway, on the left."

As Violet made his way down the hall, he could hear conversing voices, one of them bringing a lift to his heart and a purpose to his stride.

Vi approached the door, just in time to hear the King speaking, he was recommending patience to Elizabeth.

The King looked to Violet in the doorway, as Violet nodded his homage, then immediately, Vi looked to the small imp playing with a toy in her lap.

Violet looked at the King, his brow raised in question. Receiving a royal nod, Vi entered silently.

Coming around behind Betsy, he placed his hand upon her bare shoulder.

Elizabeth's eyes rolled upward, then closed in bliss, as she would know his gentle, loving touch anywhere.

Her pirate had awakened and he had come for her.

She opened her eyes slowly, but before she could look up from her lap, she saw it.

She smiled widely, then her tongue peeked out the corner of her mouth, as in seven quick moves she had the circle back together.

She smirked at the King, tossed him the ball, then stood to greet her husband properly.

Violet slid his hand along her waist, as both her arms came up around his neck, her lips finding his immediately in a sweet, soft kiss.

Violet's iris eyes shone down into hers, filled with pleasure at her warm welcome.

The King replaced the ball, smirking himself, as he felt his own pride in her accomplishment of the difficult puzzle.

Elizabeth's brows drew together, as she noticed Violet's eyes slowly become troubled.

"What is it, Violet?" She grew concerned, knowing they had not given any time to conversation, whatsoever, upon his return.