Chapter Sixteen Part Two

Marcus had been disappointed, when after a short, yet very enjoyable conversation, Alfred's horse had lost a shoe. Marcus had voiced his disappointment at seeing Alfred have to turn back. He had offered to return with the young man, to retrieve yet another steed, but Alfred had wished him safe passage, and sent him on his way.

Marcus had traveled on to town to meet with Damien. His brother had been, as usual lately, a bit sullen. His own son, Drake, had not shown himself, to at the very least, vent his anger at the betrothal Damien had arranged for him. Damien had not seen his son going on eight years now. He had been hard and unbendable and had driven his son away. He now regretted that more than he could say.

Marcus had commiserated and tried to lift Damien's spirits, but to no avail. He could understand, as only getting to see Vi once a year pained his own heart. Yet, at least Marcus had been able to lay his eyes upon Violet, unlike Damien, who had only the word of others that his own son was well.

Damien was in an unhappy marriage himself. Though he loved his wife, Amelia, he derived no comfort from the bitterly complaining woman. She was beautiful as a goddess, yet cold as ice. Marcus felt for his brother, as he knew living with an unhappy woman made life miserable. Amelia blamed Damien for their son Drake's absence and made no secret of her feelings. That was the main reason why Marcus and Damien met at the gentlemen's club for their luncheons, as Amelia did not care to whom she vented her displeasure, and Damien tended to avoid any opportunity when she would put him down.

They had parted company after their meal, a brotherly hug and some back patting, as Damien had wished him well on his journey.

Marcus had been glad to be able to secure all the items on his list that afternoon.

Gwendolyn had been a thorn in his side ever since that evening, upon his arriving home. As if she were trying to push him out the door, knowing he had men to handle his affairs around the estate, she did all she could to hurry him on his way.

Marcus had previously arranged the sale of three of his breeding cattle, in addition to a young bull he had allowed to come to maturity, that he had delivered the afternoon of his first day on the road south to Katherine's.

Marcus had given himself a birthday gift, in that he had left a few days earlier than he usually did. For some reason he could not rationally explain, he just needed to be on his way. And Gwendolyn's harping had sealed the deal.

He had dreamed of Violet the night before last. He had seen his eldest son aboard his ship, staring into black, brooding clouds, while overwhelming fear consumed his visage.

Marcus had tried to get to Violet in the dream and he could not. He called to him and called to him but Violet had not been able to hear him and Marcus' feet had been weighted down as if with lead. Marcus had felt such a feeling of helplessness as his son feared .....for what? His life? Marcus did not know, he had woken in a cold, drenching sweat, and he had decided not to put his trip off any longer. He had left that morning as soon as he was able.

Every fibre of his being just wanted to get to them. He realized the fear was irrational, yet he just needed to arrive at the cottage and find Violet and Katherine happy and well. A grain of worry still resided in his chest, and he knew it would not depart from him, until he saw them once again.

Marcus had left the estate in the capable hands of his foreman Jordy, content that his men would carry on just fine without him, as he was staying gone a bit longer this time.

Marcus had brought with him a few lambs this trip. One for Katherine, he felt she would enjoy the company, as he did when they followed him around the meadow, and two more for Sissy and Josh.