Nineteen Part Three

Alfred had taken special care with his appearance this evening. His dark hair was slicked back neatly, his attire was the latest in fashion. After all, he was the Baron of Nimford, someday to be Marquess of Moonhurst.

His intentions this evening were to be seen at the grandest ball of the season. The very grandest, that is, if the Lady Harrison had anything to say about it. She definitely tried the hardest out of all the dames of the ton, to make her ball, the very last of the season, legendary.

There were always rich heiresses at this ball, and that is where Alfred's mood had taken him this day. He could now take his time in aspiring to the higher title, he could also, however, marry into money now. Or soon, mayhap, if he got going about it.

Marcus had come back from lunch with with his Uncle Damien that day, and mentioned the decree in Damien's letter to his cousin Drake, outlining the terms of his cousin's betrothal. If Drake did not show up to wed the Duke's daughter, who was also missing presently, Alfred would be named as his next in line. And that meant he would be named heir apparent without risking his neck.

Alfred was still a young man, he had plenty of time and he had actually had a pleasant conversation with his father before his horse had lost it's shoe.

Marcus had expressed an interest in what Alfred did of an eve, he had then asked if Alfred would like to meet him to fence of an afternoon, when he returned. Alfred had been at first surprised, but then he started remembering all the times Marcus had actually tried to spend time with him. His mother came immediately to mind. She had always intervened, always spoken negatively about Marcus, and always treated him badly. Alfred realized he had readily followed suit.
Unfairly mayhap, none the less, he found himself willing to take the time to find out.

Alfred joined his mother and his second cousin Jude, who had come to hunt and visit while Marcus was away, as they waited for the evening meal to be announced. Alfred entered the sitting room, where a fire snapped and roared, the room was overly warm, Alfred pulled at his cravat trying to loosen it and hopefully cool his neck. "Why, by the Gods, is it so damn hot in here?" Alfred fumed.

"Alfred, dear, it is chilly outside, do come sit down and greet your cousin." Gwendolyn oozed motherly love and direction. He also noted she was dressed to show off her nonexistent cleavage. No wonder she had a fire blazing.

"By God I can not, it is roasting in here, I will await you in the entry where man can breathe." Alfred struck out for the entry, when he turned and bumped into Sadie waiting to announce supper.

"Oouf," Alfred swatted out at Sadie, as she had scared and surprised him. She deftly raised an arm blocking his swat.

"Careful, Sir Alfred." Sadie said softly. "Supper is served." Sadie said with more volume to all. She turned and marched back to the kitchen to serve the meal. One did not work for her Lady Gwendolyn very long, before learning to avoid a swat to the best of your abilities.

Dinner was served, Alfred explained he would be attending Lady Harrison's ball to seek out prospective brides.

His mother advised him to just shop, as he still had plenty of time left to buy. She reminded Alfred of the many more heiresses he could choose from if he had a more prestigious title.

"I have heard that I may have a legitimate chance at the title, and I believe for now, I will bide my time." Alfred drew the napkin from his lap and placed it on his plate. He would wait and eat at the ball, they always had plenty to eat at these functions, trying to outdo the last hostess' menu.

He was uncomfortable here. He did not care for Jude very much. The man always looked at him strangely. It made him feel as a bug under a microscope, or as if Jude knew something he did not. "I wish you both have a good evening, I believe I shall be on my way." Alfred excused himself and left the dining room to the older couple. He strode to the front door and requested his horse be brought around as he shrugged into his waistcoat.