Twelve Part Two

Jude Kensington was becoming increasingly frustrated and dissatisfied. He paced his study floor, wearing the threadbare carpet even thinner than it already was. He ran his hand back and forth on the side of his head roughly, trying to clear his mind of the twisting, turning thoughts that consumed him. He was frustrated and dissatisfied with his life, with his lack of funds, and also, with his cousin Gwendolyn.

When he and Gwen were youths, he saw her as an easy mark for his growing needs. Not his sexual needs, but his need for the things he could not remotely afford to purchase for himself. His need for a lifestyle he could not well afford on his own, either.

Gwen had a very large trust, and he had guessed correctly that she would be willing to share a bit of it with him. All he had had to do, was to make her believe he found her exciting and desirable. She had been so starved for affection, she had easily believed his honeyed words of wanting, his casual brushes against the womanly parts of her skinny body. She began craving and seeking out the passionate embraces he bestowed upon her behind the hedgerows at her father's manse.

She had been so very young and inexperienced. Each touch that he had expertly calculated and carried out, had caused her to shudder with the new awareness of her own awakening body. His every promising whisper had her believing anything he told her, as he plied his charms to the very best of his abilities.

She did not have to know he liked his women much more voluptuous than she, he definitely lusted after more attractive ladies than his pinched faced cousin.

All Gwen had needed to believe, was that he desired her above all others. He had known then, when they were younger, that there was no chance he could be tied to her for life, even if he started bedding her. Yet, she had accomplished holding onto him far longer than he ever meant for her to.

It had just been altogether too easy, casually mentioning a horse he desired, sulking over a bad night spent at the gaming tables, or maybe his wish for a new wardrobe, as his was becoming a bit shabby. If he said the word, his wish was granted.

She would do anything he asked. He was just very careful to craftily mention these things in passing, never asking her outright, just a well placed hint, and whatever he desired had been his.

Quite a bit of funds had come his way by acting in a sullen mood because he couldn't afford something he wanted. She did not like seeing him downcast, especially when she was in an amorous mood. She had opened her purse, just as swiftly as he had opened her laces.

But now she was talking insane. How she thought to kill three men, two of them peers of the realm, and not raise any suspicions was beyond him. He would give her his pride, his lies, and his time, but he would not hang for some crazed dream she thought she could bring to pass. She thought she could even buy his aid in her endeavor.

Oh, he did not tell her he thought her mad. As a matter of fact, he had offered to help her, if only to know her plans ahead of time, so he could betray her.

He was done with manipulating her, he was ready to find himself a rich, young heiress to wed and bed. He was not without his own title. Though he may only hold the title of Baron, it was still more than most men had. He was tired of having to wheedle and scheme for every extra farthing that came his way.

He was not getting any younger. He had noticed the subtle changes to his own face and body. If he waited too long, his good looks would not carry him any longer. As it was, he still looked somewhat trim and distinguished. He could still hope to charm a young lady into wedlock. He would be needing an heir soon also, as he was the last of his line.

He did not think Gwen would appreciate being replaced in his affections very much at all. He knew she would continue to be a nagging thorn in his side. After all, she had not quit their relationship when she had married, she would expect it to continue after he wed also.