Twenty Seven Part One

Gwen could hear Jude's voice, he was speaking to her, calling her back from the deep, dark depths to which she had plunged.

She opened her eyes, seeing him hovering over her for a second, before he jumped back.

Jude, help me up.

Jude swore, and said something about getting help. He left her alone to wonder how badly she was hurt.

She did not feel hurt. Come to think of it, she could not feel anything at all.

Gwen wondered about this and tried to move her head, but nothing happened.

That was most strange.

She tried to move one of her hands, again, she had no results.

She would have to ask Jude when he came back why she could not move a muscle.

Then she remembered.

She remembered falling and grasping, that it had been Jude's arm knocking her off balance, that had caused the fall.

She remembered Jude had stood there and had not helped her.

Then again, she had surprised him. She knew Jude had been unaware of her presence. She should have spoken first, or lit a candle to take with her.

This was most perplexing, why could she not feel her body.

She saw Jude step carefully over her and take the stairs up. Where was he going? Again, why was he not helping her?

He returned and settled next to her. "Can you hear me, Gwen?"

Yes, yes, I can hear you.

Gwen realized no sound issued forth from her body. She could not speak, she could not move, what was wrong with her?

Gwen was becoming frantic, she was trapped in a body that would not do what she wanted it to do.

Jude bent forward and spoke again, "Do not try to move. I have called a physician, I think it would be best if we wait for him."

A physician, yes, a physician may tell her why she could not function properly.

She was still frantic when Jude told her to stay where she was.

She did not have a choice.

Do not go, Jude, stay with me.

He came back and placed a blanket over her body. He stayed beside her but did not speak.

What is wrong with me? Gwen was screaming in her mind, talk to me Jude, tell me what is wrong with me!

Gwen was trapped and she was desperate for answers.

*********************************************************

Jude sat beside her, not knowing what to do. He had never seen anyone injured in such a way before. He was at a loss as to how to help her.

Opening the front portal, Charles bumped into Jude's back with the door.

Jude rose from his vigil, opening the door a bit further to allow them entry.

Charles came first, seeing Gwendolyn still lying upon the floor, his eyes shot to Jude's.

Jude was saved having to say anything by the physician himself. "Fell down the staircase did she?"

The middle aged doctor turned his steely eyes Jude's way.

"Yes, I am sorry to say that she did." Jude stood behind the physician as the man bent over Gwendolyn's prostrate form.