Twenty One Part Two

Lady Eleanor moved the drapes aside to look out at the raging storm. The rain was blown in from the side, as the wind moaned and howled like a wild banshee through the trees. Lightning flashed out across the sky, creating sheets of light that lit up the wooded area behind the estate. The trees were losing their leaves, appearing black and skeletal against the grey of night.

The thunder continued to roll, starting out as a low rumble the roar then crescendoed to a booming ending, causing Eleanor to cringe.

Eleanor shivered from her shoulders down, as she gazed out at the tempest that raged beyond the rain spattered panes. Water ran in rivulets down the glass, and a chill emanated from the casement.

The storm's intensity had risen mightily in the last hour, Eleanor hoped and prayed it would lessen by morn.

A fire burned in the hearth to her left, warming the cozy sitting room she occupied, that adjoined her bedchamber.

Ellie watched as the tempest released it's fury with conviction. She was glad to be inside where she was safe and warm. Her mind darted quickly to prayer, for any homeless unfortunates who were not inside, safe and warm on this chilly eve.

The discussion over supper with Violet had touched on a nerve. Violet had told Ellie most of his story, about how he and Brutus had become pirates so they could learn to sail, and how he had been given an opportunity to take over as captain. That he had never wanted to harden into the kind of man he had associated with in that circle. How he had used his position as captain, and a false reputation, to answer what he felt was his call in life.

Violet's desire to help the innocents had brought back memories of Bernard, of Ellie and Bernard's efforts to do the same. In Bernard's case, to do whatever he could think of to do, to help ease the suffering of others who just needed a bit of help. In her case, to help Bernard in any way he asked.

No one ever thought anything amiss with a Lady pawning fancy items. Gambling debts to pay were always a viable excuse. One that others would simply laugh off as eccentric on her part.

Bernard, himself, sold most of the things he smuggled, the fine wines, brandies and silks, but the jewellery and expensive trinkets were Eleanor's domain.

Ellie could not deny she was always a little tickled when she walked out of the pawn shoppe knowing she had gotten one over on her distant cousin, the King.

He had plenty of wealth as it was, and it was only a small amount here and there for winter coats, shoes and foodstuffs. Bernard cared for as many basic needs as he could.

Once in a while there was a promising child, who could do well for his family with an education, and Ellie had added from her own funds to support schooling. There were three boys she funded at the moment, and she had seen twelve others graduate to a career. Those she helped now, by passing their names along, such as Nicholas Hardy, who had studied architecture. Others she helped to find employment, such as Harold Turnkey who was now a solicitor.

Ellie believed in helping where she could, as she had helped Bernard, he had always been a inspiration to her in giving to others. He had spent his life wishing he could do more.

Elizabeth was right when she said that Violet was a man her Papa would have loved. Ellie also could not help but to agree with Violet and Elizabeth, that God had to have reached out His hand and brought the two of them together. Others may have said it was fate, but Eleanor knew better, and Bernard would have loved their story.

One of Bernard's favourite things, had been to look at something after the fact, when he could look back and see where God had been at work. A long awaited answered prayer, or a quick and to the point miracle, Bernard loved them all.