Thirty Eight Part Two

Violet stood and walked to the edge of the veranda. Leaning over the railing, he listened past the children's voices and those of the men sitting behind him. He thought he heard a carriage approaching, and indeed, the sound grew louder as a team and coach appeared from the forest lined road that ran in from London.

As the conveyance swung around the drive, a predatory gleam lit Violet's visage. He recognized the crest that announced 'twas his cousin, the privateer Earl, and his obnoxious Countess.

Violet chuckled to himself. This should be interesting, he thought.

What brought the true gleam to Violet's eye was his anticipation of seeing Lady Arianna now that they were all aware that he and Drake were related. For some self satisfying reason, the thought of her possible discomfiture thrilled Violet to no end.

Violet knew it all would have to end in a truce, in light of his commitment to be a man for God, not to mention, his great love for his wife. Yet, his manly pride had been wounded by the haughty Countess once too many times in the past, and he would take a small bit of fleshly pleasure in her temporary discomfort, should she feel any.

Damien rose and came to stand next to Violet, "Play nice..... You hear me, boy?" Damien's hand came to rest upon Violet's shoulder, as Violet shot his uncle a grin.

Violet raised his brows in innocence, this was going to be better than he could have ever imagined. "But of course, Uncle, let us go greet them together."

The men smiled at one another, Violet innocently, Damien suspiciously, as they made their way to the carriage, while the Earl's footman climbed down.

Opening the door, the man dropped the step and stood aside. Violet and Damien came to a halt, side by side, a meter away.

Drake ducked out in a crouch from the coach, his eyes full of pleasure at seeing his father, before turning to assist his wife down.

"Play nice, Ari." Drake suggested quietly, as he handed her down from the coach.

Arianna looked down to the step, lifting her skirts aside, she descended to the ground, then lifted her eyes.

Damien stepped forward and bussed her cheek, "Arianna, you are more lovely than when I saw you last."

Arianna blushed prettily, murmuring nonsense, as Violet rolled his eyes to the sky and waited for her to get over her pretty self.

"Captain Petals...... Violet." Drake stuck out his hand in a timely manner, just barely tapping, not quite punching Violet in the gut.

Violet stepped back shortly, grinning widely, he started laughing his words, as he took Drake's hand, "Cousin, I was not sure you would come."

"You got my letter, yes?" Damien placed a hand upon Drake's arm taking him from Violet, enfolding him into his arms, clapping him upon the back. Damien then drew back to see Drake's face, to assure himself all was well, also to affirm that his missive had been received.

"I did," Drake answered his father, then looked to his wife, "We did." Drake moved to Arianna, she took his arm, they both standing united for a moment. "We were both very glad to hear that Betsy was well, and that Violet had been taking good care of her." Drake narrowed his eyes slightly, as he looked down at Arianna, as this was the consensus they had finally agreed upon. That for Betsy's sake, Arianna would be civil to the pirate, who now, also happened to be his cousin.

That still boggled Drake's mind. Though he had recognized something long ago, Marcus had never, not once come to his mind. Drake needed to hear more of this, and of just how his uncle, Marcus, had managed that.