Forty Part Three

Rising from the bench where he sat beside her, Violet kissed Betsy's forehead on his way up from the table. "Come and join me when you finish." Violet suggested, his lips moving softly and sweetly against her skin.

Though they had the makings of an incredibly busy day ahead, Violet's attentions assured Betsy that he wanted to spend it with her. His breath whispered across Betsy's skin, smelling of cinnamon and coffee. The feel of Violet's lips against her temple sent Betsy's belly to fluttering, as his hand upon her shoulder sent little bolts of lightning shooting through her body.

Closing her eyes to better appreciate the feelings he created, Betsy then opened them slowly, as he straightened up to his full height. "I shall." She breathily assured him.

Betsy smiled up at her gorgeous husband over her shoulder, as he fluidly maneuvered his way back from the table.

The King's reverend rose also. He bent down towards Betsy before stepping over the bench, the man setting his hand upon her shoulder, as he spoke kindly to her. "Bless you, child."

"And you, also." Betsy replied automatically. Growing up in a pastor's household, Betsy was raised to return blessed wishes just as soon as she received them.

The reverend, and Violet, both stopped at the head of the table to shallowly bow. After paying homage to their smiling, sooty, pirate King, they both turned and made for the doorway before resuming their earlier conversation. The two men became engrossed, discussing details concerning the day ahead, as they vacated the room.

Any crewmen who was left behind, knowing there would soon be additional mouths to feed on this fine, busy morn, gave up their seats and rose also, following Violet and the reverend outside. Once there, they made their way to the bunkhouse, to spruce up their own appearances before the guest's arrivals.

Turning her attention back to her tea, Betsy slipped her hands around the mug to absorb the warmth still emanating from it.

"You are not eating." The King noted, now that all had left the room save he and she.

"It must be all the excitement over the day ahead." Betsy took a small sip of her tea. She smiled weakly at the King, before claiming a small piece of cake, hoping some sustenance may drive away the funny feeling she felt creeping up on her.

"You are becoming pale, are you sure you will be alright?" The King's voice held concern. His face was troubled. He did not like the idea of Elizabeth not feeling well.

Betsy finished swallowing her bite of cake. "I only need food, Sire." She reached out and placed one of her warmed hands upon his.

The King took her hand, looking deeply into her eyes. He still wore a trace of worry upon his brow.

Betsy smiled at her King, who acted more as though he were her father than the ruling Monarch. "I have been up for quite a while now, and I most likely just needed to eat sooner. I am sure I will be fine in just a few moments."

Sighing, as her head became light, Betsy closed her eyes and took a few cleansing breaths.

The rich coffee cake suddenly did not sit well in her stomach, however.

After hurriedly excusing herself, the King's concern turned to mirth, then the King began to chuckle aloud.

He raised his eyes upward and petitioned his God on Elizabeth's behalf.

After a moment of earnest prayer for this slip of a girl he had come to love, the King resumed his chuckling.

It seemed the pirate, Petals, had planted a seed.

Speaking aloud to Betsy, even though she had rushed off to find a chamber pot and no longer sat beside him, the King grew mockingly serious while amusing and entertaining himself. "Did I not tell you I would probably know before your husband did?"

The King's brow raised in irony as he looked with pleasure to the doorway that Betsy had disappeared through. Rubbing his hands together, the King laughed aloud at the children who descended upon him to break their own fasts.

*********************************************

I know 'tis short, but I had this part done and I could not, not post it on Father's Day. Happy Father's Day, Violet!!!