Twenty One Part Four

Alfred was absolutely smitten, he was falling in love for the very first time in his life. He felt as though he floated, as he sat atop his horse, riding down the dark lane that would lead to the apartments he rented for his mistress. He had left Lady Harrison's ball with one thought in mind.

His mind wandered now, however, as he took note of how the lanterns shone, glinting off the storefronts and the street, lighting up circular patterns on the stones below him as he passed.

He thought of Terese, and the morrow, he would definitely call upon her as soon as it was an acceptable hour to do so. Supper had been a delightful half hour, spent talking of their likes and dislikes, they found that they both enjoyed riding and dancing. There had been light teasing and witty banter. Terese was intelligent and funny, she had a wicked sense of humor, and already, Alfred could not imagine himself ever becoming bored in her company. Thoughts of her in his arms as they danced, made him positively giddy. He suddenly realized, he had not stopped grinning since leaving her company.

Terese had introduced him to her mother, which seemed a very good sign. Her mother had been gracious and kind, making him feel as if he had her approval already.

Apparently, Terese was an heiress, her father was a businessman in New York, and her family was in London for a few months, while her father attended to business here. Terese had encouraged Alfred to speak with her father the next day and gain his approval to court her while they were in town.

Alfred arrived at his destination and tied his horse, quietly letting himself in the back door of the small, rented abode where his mistress dwelled.

Merry was awake, he saw the light still burning in her sitting room. As he joined her there, he saw the look of resignation that came upon her face. He knew she assumed he was there to exert his rights over her.

Merry sighed, putting down her pen, as she had been sketching a statue that sat in front of her. She began to rise.

"Do not bother yourself Merry, I am not here for that." Alfred came around behind her, laying his hand upon her shoulder, keeping her in place. He looked down at her sketch and realized it was quite good. "Why Merry, I did not know you were so talented at drawings."

Merry noticed a subtle difference in this man that used her. She looked up, and back over her shoulder at him, taking note of the fact he had not been drinking this eve.

He seemed different, his voice was kinder than usual, his facial features had softened somehow. His eyes did not pierce this evening, they showed honest interest, as if he really saw her. They were not distracted, as if he was focused upon himself, which he usually was.

"Thank you, Alfred, 'tis very kind of you to say, I do enjoy sketching," She gestured to a book on a low table in front of the settee, it was filled with drawings she had previously sketched, "Would you care to see others I have completed already?" Her eyes shone under his kind attention and the unexpected compliment.

"Why, yes, I would like to see your work, very much, if you are willing to show me." Alfred admitted.

They spent the next hour looking over her sketches, and talking. He told her about Terese, and Merry admitted to wanting to become a famous artist.

He offered to help her turn a room in the apartments into a studio, to buy her paints and supplies, and to help her by showing her works to the right people when she had enough completed to display.

She was really quite good and Alfred did not think she would have a problem selling them one day.

Merry was quite surprised by this sudden change in a man she had only known before as self serving. She found she had mixed feelings, and a little fear for her future, as she realized he would no longer want to use her body as he had before.